SALT LAKE CITY, March 16, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- As you begin the annual spring cleaning of your home and environment, it's not a bad idea to begin 'spring cleaning' your body as well. For many of us, the winter months mean less exposure to sun (low vitamin D), less movement and more consumption of heavier foods.
"After the long winter months, many of us begin to notice a difference in our skin, hair and overall mood," says Dr. Brian Dixon, Executive Director of Health and Science Education at USANA Health Sciences. "These are signs that your body may be in need of a 'spring cleaning' or detox."
Dr. Dixon doesn't recommend buying into fad or crash diets, but recommends a few of the following to help you ease into your most vibrant self again this spring:
- Get outside! Sunlight plays a critical role in the body's production of vitamin D, which can affect the health of your hair, skin, nails, teeth and overall mood. Add fatty fish like salmon, tuna, mackerel, sardines and dairy; or a high-quality nutritional supplement for an extra boost of vitamin D.
- Eat more greens. Bitter greens like endive, arugula and peppermint, as well as broccoli, can aid in digestion, help with bloat, and support our natural defenses.
- Drink your lemon. Start each day with ½ lemon squeezed into a cup of warm water. The lemon alkalizes in your bloodstream can jumpstart your digestion. And then be sure to continue to eat as many fruits and vegetables as you can throughout the day.
- Eat soluble fibers. Foods like avocados, kidney beans, peaches, prunes and oats help keep you full while slowing digestion to help maintain a healthy blood sugar balance. As these foods move through your digestive tract, they absorb water and help the body eliminate cholesterol.
- Re-invigorate your supplement regimen. USANA offers a number of unique supplements which support the body's natural detoxification process*. Some of my favorites are: Vitamin D, Hepasil DTX™ , which promotes healthy liver function*, as well as Digestive Enzyme and USANA® Probiotic which support healthy digestion*.
*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
Founded in 1992, USANA Health Sciences (NYSE: USNA) is a U.S.-based nutritional company that manufactures high-quality supplements, personal care and healthy food products in its FDA-Registered Drug Establishment in Salt Lake City. Learn more about USANA by visiting our web site http://www.usana.com or the official USANA blog http://whatsupusana.com.
Media Contact: Ashley Collins
VP Marketing & Public Relations
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/feeling-green-indulge-in-a-little-spring-cleaning-for-your-body-300424945.html
SOURCE USANA Health Sciences