NextEra Energy, Inc. is a leading clean-energy company with revenues of more than $15.3 billion, more than 41,000 megawatts (MW) of generating capacity, and approximately 15,000 employees in 24 states and Canada as of year-end 2011. More than 11,000 of NextEra Energy’s employees are based in Florida. Headquartered in Juno Beach, Fla., NextEra Energy’s principal subsidiaries are Florida Power & Light Company, which serves approximately 4.6 million customer accounts in Florida and is one of the largest rate-regulated electric utilities in the country, and NextEra Energy Resources, LL C, which together with affiliated entities is the largest generator in the United States of renewable energy from the wind and sun. Through its subsidiaries, NextEra Energy operates the third largest number of commercial nuclear power units in the United States.
NextEra Energy has the second largest fleet of power plants in the United States, capable of producing the electricity needed to power more than 17 million homes. Over the last five years, NextEra Energy has invested more than $27 billion in capital projects. These investments, in turn, provide jobs that are a key ingredient for economic growth and prosperity.Economic Performance
- Delivered record adjusted earnings per share of $4.391 in 2011, a 2.1 percent increase over 2010
- Over the 10 years ended Dec. 31, 2011, generated a 209 percent total shareholder return, compared with a 129 percent return for the companies in the S&P 500 Electric Utilities index
- No. 161 on the 2011 Fortune 500 list of largest companies
- FPL is the largest private investor in Florida
- No. 1 wind energy generator in the United States
- No. 1 solar energy generator in the United States
- One of the lowest emissions profiles among U.S. electric power companies
- FPL’s demand-side management programs have saved the equivalent of 13 medium-sized power plants since 1981
Please see our Corporate Profile Report for more information.