MCLEAN, Va., April 17, 2012 /PRNewswire via COMTEX/ --Gannett (NYSE: GCI) announced 15 of its local news stations won 31 regional 2012 Edward R. Murrow awards. The competition is sponsored by the Radio Television Digital News Association and honors outstanding achievements in electronic journalism. Nine of 19 Gannett Broadcasting markets won at least one award and six won more than one, the highest number of Gannett markets to collectively win regional Murrow Awards.
"We are very proud of the ongoing commitment to excellence at our Gannett TV stations," said Dave Lougee, president of Gannett Broadcasting. "Providing this award-winning journalism is part of what gives us our hometown advantage in our local communities, and it is a commitment from which we will never waiver."
Three Gannett stations were among those winning the highest award for Overall Excellence. Other awards recognize excellence in Investigative Reporting, Hard News Reporting, Breaking News, News Documentary, Feature Reporting, Sports and News Websites as well as other categories.
Gannett Overall Excellence award winners:
- KARE-TV in Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN (eight awards)
- WGRZ-TV in Buffalo, NY (two awards)
- KTHV-TV in Little Rock, AR (one award)
Other winning Gannett TV stations include:
- KUSA-TV in Denver, CO (five awards)
- WBIR-TV in Knoxville, TN (three awards)
- WXIA-TV in Atlanta, GA (two awards)
- KSDK-TV in St. Louis, MO (two awards)
- WUSA-TV in Washington DC (one award)
- WTSP-TV in Tampa-St. Petersburg, FL (one award)
- KPNX-TV in Phoenix, AZ (one award)
- WKYC-TV in Cleveland, OH (one award)
- WZZM-TV in Grand Rapids-Kalamazoo-Battle Creek, MI (one award)
- WTLV/WJXX in Jacksonville, FL (one award)
- WCSH-TV in Portland, ME (one award)
- WMAZ-TV in Macon, GA (one award)
Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is an international media and marketing solutions company that informs and engages more than 100 million people every month through its powerful network of broadcast, digital, mobile and publishing properties. Our portfolio of trusted brands offers marketers unmatched local-to-national reach and customizable, innovative marketing solutions across any platform. Gannett is committed to connecting people - and the companies who want to reach them - with their interests and communities. For more information, visit www.gannett.com.
SOURCE Gannett Co., Inc.