|Sonoco ThermoSafe Survey Reveals Current and Future Trends In Clinical Trial Supplies Market|
Arlington Heights, Ill., U.S. – Sonoco ThermoSafe, a unit of Sonoco (NYSE:SON) and a leading global provider of temperature-controlled packaging, in partnership with Arena International Events Group and Berlinger & Co. AG, today announced the results of an industry survey entitled "Assessing the Current and Future State of Clinical Trial Supplies." The survey was co-developed by an advisory panel of industry experts from clinical operations, clinical trial supply logistics and packaging, as well as bio-pharma manufacturing and supply chain organizations.
· 53% of respondents from the sponsor organizations reported they outsource more than 61% of their clinical trial supply budget.
· Close and reliable partnerships between clinical and operational teams were cited as the most important factor in successful supply forecasting: relationships with CRO 87%, distributor/packaging supplier 85% followed by the manufacturer 74%.
· 24% of respondents currently use a direct-to-patient (DTP) distribution model. One-third of those who don't use DTP today plan to adopt this distribution model over the next 12-18 months, driven by the desire to optimise cost of recruitment, patient interactions and leverage efficiencies in data collection/visibility using technology and specialist service providers.
· 69% of respondents anticipate investment in mobile technology in the next two years. Lack of a user friendly interface and data security concerns topped the list of factors limiting their company's investment in mobile technology platforms.
· Respondents found logistics between depot and clinical sites most challenging in South America, Central America and Asia. Further, the survey indicates widespread use of clinical trial supply partners, with 86% of respondents using an import broker to overcome regional challenges such as compliance with import/export regulations for shipments of clinical trial supplies.
Sonoco ThermoSafe, a unit of Sonoco (NYSE:SON), is a leading global provider of temperature assurance packaging for the safe and efficient transport of pharmaceuticals, biologics, vaccines and other temperature-sensitive products. Sonoco ThermoSafe shipping solutions mitigate risk for our customers and ensure product efficacy throughout the extremes of a supply chain. With operations in Americas, Europe and Asia, Sonoco ThermoSafe has a vast product offering featuring industry-leading technology that encompasses refrigerated, frozen or controlled room temperature applications. In addition, Sonoco ThermoSafe's ISC Labs® delivers individualized design and testing services and innovative packaging solutions along with qualification and validation services to meet all regulatory requirements. More information can be found at www.thermosafe.com.
Founded in 1899, Sonoco is a global provider of a variety of consumer packaging, industrial products, protective packaging, and displays and packaging supply chain services. With annualized net sales of approximately $4.8 billion, the Company has 20,000 employees working in more than 300 operations in 35 countries, serving some of the world's best known brands in some 85 nations. For more information on the Company, visit our website at www.sonoco.com.
Contact: Brian Risinger