MEMPHIS, Tenn., Dec. 11, 2007 (PRIME NEWSWIRE) -- AAA is forecasting higher gas prices at the pump this Holiday Season. That's because holiday auto travel typically increases demand for gasoline. Keeping that in mind, AutoZone has some tips for you to help you save on your gas mileage.
* Replace your faulty oxygen sensors -- Replacing a faulty oxygen
sensor can save you $429 a year if gas is $3.00 a gallon.
* Replace your dirty air filter -- If you are paying $3.00 a gallon,
then you could save $136 a year by replacing your air filter.
* Replace worn-out spark plugs -- If you replace your worn-out spark
plugs, that could save you an additional $69 a year.
* Replace your "forgotten filters" -- The fuel filter, PCV valve and
breather filter should all be replaced once a year or every 12,000
miles. This can help improve your gas mileage by up to 15%!
* Don't use premium fuel if not required -- Using the wrong gas can
reduce your fuel economy.
* Replace your gas cap and consider one with a lock -- A faulty seal
can waste $50 in gas a year due to evaporation.
* Keep your tires properly inflated -- Tires that are under-inflated
run hotter and waste gas.
* Avoid excessive idling -- Sitting idle gets zero miles per gallon!
Letting your vehicle warm up for a minute or two is sufficient.
* Observe the speed limit -- Gas mileage decreases rapidly at speeds
above 60 miles per hour.
* Don't be an aggressive driver -- Aggressive driving can lower gas
mileage by as much as 33% on the highway and 5% on city streets!
* Combine errands into one trip -- This will save you gas and time.
* Avoid carrying unneeded heavy items -- An extra 100 pounds in your
car or truck can cut fuel efficiency by one or two percent.
No matter what your car care needs, you can count on AutoZone! Just stop by your local AutoZone store, or visit us on the web at www.autozone.com.
As of November 17, 2007, AutoZone sells auto and light truck parts, chemicals and accessories through 3,972 AutoZone stores in 48 states plus the District of Columbia and Puerto Rico in the U.S. and 124 stores in Mexico.
AutoZone is the leading retailer and a leading distributor of automotive replacement parts and accessories in the United States. Each store carries an extensive product line for cars, sport utility vehicles, vans and light trucks, including new and remanufactured automotive hard parts, maintenance items, accessories, and non-automotive products. Many stores also have a commercial sales program that provides commercial credit and prompt delivery of parts and other products to local, regional and national repair garages, dealers, and service stations. AutoZone also sells the ALLDATA brand diagnostic and repair software. On the web, AutoZone sells diagnostic and repair information, and auto and light truck parts through www.autozone.com. AutoZone does not derive revenue from automotive repair or installation.