Q-Cloud Provides Effective Data Protection for as Little as 1 Cent/GB/Month
SAN JOSE, CA--(Marketwire -08/27/12)- Quantum Corp. (QTM), a proven global expert in data protection and big data management, today announced a new cloud-based backup and disaster recovery (DR) subscription service, Q-Cloud™, which provides business-class data protection at a consumer cloud storage price. Enterprise customers can leverage Q-Cloud's simple, secure and flexible approach for as little as 1 cent/GB/month.* Incorporating Quantum's patented deduplication technology, Q-Cloud provides backup of both physical and virtual infrastructures for capacities ranging from 1 TB up to 1 PB of protected data. With Q-Cloud, Quantum extends the industry's most comprehensive range of data protection solutions available, spanning from the data center to the enterprise edge and now to the cloud. Powered by Quantum Deduplication and Virtual Data Protection
Low-Cost, Reliable Edge-to-Cloud Replication
- Q-Cloud takes full advantage of DXi®-Series data protection and Quantum vmPRO™ virtual machine protection capabilities both onsite and in the cloud. DXi appliances offer unique, patented deduplication capabilities which revolutionize cloud storage economics.
- DXi-Series appliances enable Q-Cloud to work with existing backup applications, including Backup Exec, CommVault, Data Protector, NetBackup, vRanger, Tivoli Storage Manager and Veeam.
- Quantum vmPRO and DXi achieve data reduction rates of up to 95 percent.
- Quantum vmPRO software allows customers to snapshot virtual machines and replicate
them to the cloud, serving as the foundation of Q-Cloud's Disaster Recovery as a Service (DRaaS) offering.
"Pay as You Grow" Subscription Pricing
- Multi-site enterprises using Q-Cloud can economically replicate directly from edge to cloud, eliminating the use of primary resources for backup and DR.
- Single-site enterprises can enjoy the benefits of a second site for a new, low-cost approach to backup and DR.
- With an on-premise DXi-Series appliance, Q-Cloud customers can enjoy the speed and convenience of local recovery with the security of cloud-based backup.
- Subscription pricing enables a "pay as you grow" approach to data protection, allowing customers to purchase only the storage capacity they need and no more.
- Subscription pricing converts capital expense to operating expense and allows customers to avoid the cost associated with under-utilized hardware, making it more cost-effective to put an offsite backup and DR solution in place.
- Quantum's Q-Cloud solution contrasts with many cloud services that typically require customers to buy additional expensive hardware as data grows or abandon prior investments as part of a "rip and replace" cloud-only approach.
Availability Q-Cloud is available today in the U.S. and U.K.
- Jason Buffington, senior analyst, Enterprise Strategy Group: "Quantum has focused on enabling better backups through deduplication methodologies, as well as virtualization-optimized data protection mechanisms. For DXi owners, Q-Cloud has the potential to radically disrupt the presumed economics of cloud-based backup and disaster-recovery -- making BaaS and DRaaS viable options for folks who might have otherwise thought
- Henrik Rosendahl, senior vice president, Cloud Solutions, Quantum: "Q-Cloud takes cloud-based data protection for enterprises to the next level. After years spent optimizing our deduplication technology we are now applying this technique to dramatically lower the cost of cloud storage for backup and DR. With Q-Cloud, patented deduplication, vmPRO software and end-to-end data security, Quantum is delivering the most innovative and comprehensive solutions available for next-generation data protection."
Quantum is a proven global expert in data protection and big data management, providing specialized storage solutions for physical, virtual and cloud environments. From small businesses to major enterprises, more than 50,000 customers trust Quantum to help maximize the value of their data by protecting and preserving it over its entire lifecycle. With Quantum, customers can Be Certain™ they're able to adapt in a changing world -- keeping more data longer, bridging from today to tomorrow, and reducing costs. See how at www.quantum.com/BeCertain.
Quantum, the Quantum logo, Be Certain, DXi, Q-Cloud and Quantum vmPRO are either registered trademarks or trademarks of Quantum Corporation and its affiliates in the United States and/or other countries. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
"Safe Harbor" Statement: This press release contains "forward-looking" statements. All statements other than statements of historical fact are statements that could be deemed forward-looking statements. Specifically, but without limitation, statements relating to 1) customer benefits and value to customers from using Quantum's DXi-Series appliances, Quantum vmPRO software and Q-Cloud services and 2) customer demand for and Quantum's future revenue from such appliances, software and services, are forward-looking statements within the meaning of the Safe Harbor. All forward-looking statements in this press release are based on information available to Quantum on the date hereof. These statements involve known and unknown risks, uncertainties and other factors that may cause Quantum's actual results to differ materially from those implied by the forward-looking statements. These risks include operational difficulties, unforeseen technical limitations, unexpected changes in market conditions and unanticipated changes in customers' needs or requirements, as well as the risks set forth in Quantum's periodic filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission, including, but not limited to, those risks and uncertainties listed in the section entitled "Risk Factors," in Quantum's Quarterly Report on Form 10-Q filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission on August 9, 2012 and Quantum's Annual Report on Form 10-K filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission on June 14, 2012, especially those risks listed in this section under the heading "Our operating results depend on a limited number of products and on new product introductions, which may not be successful, in which case our business, financial condition and operating results may be materially and adversely affected." Quantum expressly disclaims any obligation to update or alter its forward-looking statements, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise.
*Assuming a typical deduplication ratio of 15:1