Print Page  Close Window

10-K
ICONIX BRAND GROUP, INC. filed this Form 10-K on 03/28/2019
Entire Document
 << Previous Page | Next Page >>

 

As a result of the January 2014 transaction, the Company records this redeemable non-controlling interest as mezzanine equity on the Company’s consolidated balance sheet. The Company is accreting the difference between the redemption value of the put option and the non-controlling interest at inception over the five-year term of the first put option to retained earnings on the Company’s balance sheet.  As of December 31, 2018, the redeemable non-controlling interest for Iconix Europe was $13.5 million which was recorded on the Company’s consolidated balance sheet as mezzanine equity.

 

Hydraulic IP Holdings, LLC

In December 2014, the Company formed a joint venture with Top On International Group Limited (“Top On”). The name of the joint venture is Hydraulic IP Holdings, LLC (“Hydraulic IPH”), a Delaware limited liability company. The Company paid $6.0 million, which was funded entirely from cash on hand, in exchange for a 51% controlling ownership of Hydraulic IPH. Top On owns the remaining 49% interest in Hydraulic IPH. Hydraulic IPH owns the IP rights, licenses and other assets relating principally to the Hydraulic brand. Concurrently, Hydraulic IPH and iBrands International, LLC (“iBrands”) entered into a license agreement pursuant to which Hydraulic IPH licensed the Hydraulic brand to iBrands as licensee in certain categories and geographies. Additionally, the Company and Top On entered into a limited liability company agreement with respect to their ownership of Hydraulic IPH.  As of December 31, 2018, the Company maintains a 15% ownership interest in iBrands.  In FY 2018, based on impairment indicators, the Company recorded a full impairment of its investment in iBrands of $2.5 million included in investment impairment on the Company’s consolidated statement of operations.  

In April 2018, pursuant to a condition in a letter agreement entered into simultaneously with the Company’s acquisition of a 51% equity interest in Hydraulic IPH in December 2014, the Company acquired the remaining 49% ownership interest from its joint venture partner for no cash consideration as a result of an affiliate of the joint venture partner not making its minimum guaranteed royalty payment obligations to the Company in accordance with the respective license agreement.  This transaction resulted in the Company effectively increasing its ownership interest in Hydraulic to 100%.  The Company will retain 100% ownership interest in Hydraulic unless the affiliate of such joint venture partner satisfies its outstanding payment obligations by making all payments of the minimum guaranteed royalties to the Company under the terminated license agreement.

 

NGX, LLC

In October 2014, the Company formed a joint venture with NGO, LLC (“NGO”). The name of the joint venture is NGX, LLC (“NGX”), a Delaware limited liability company. The Company paid $6.0 million, which was funded entirely from cash on hand; in exchange for a 51% controlling ownership of NGX. NGO owns the remaining 49% interest in NGX. NGX owns the IP rights, licenses and other assets relating principally to the Nick Graham brand. Concurrently, NGX and NGL, LLC (“NGL”) entered into a license agreement pursuant to which NGX licensed the Nick Graham brand to NGL as licensee in certain categories and geographies. Additionally, the Company and NGO entered into a limited liability company operating agreement with respect to their ownership of NGX.

The Company determined, in accordance with ASC 810, based on the corporate structure, voting rights and contributions of the Company and NGO, NGX is a VIE and, as the Company has been determined to be the primary beneficiary, is subject to consolidation. The Company has consolidated this joint venture within its consolidated financial statements since inception.  The liabilities of the VIE are not material and none of the VIE assets are encumbered by any obligation of the VIE or other entity.

In July 2017, the Company sold its 51% ownership interest in NGX, LLC for $2.4 million in cash.  As a result of this transaction, the Company recognized a loss of less than $0.1 million which has been recorded within Other Income on the Company’s consolidated statement of operations in FY 2017.

 

Buffalo Brand Joint Venture

In February 2013, Iconix CA Holdings, LLC (“ICA Holdings”), a Delaware limited liability company and a wholly-owned subsidiary of the Company, formed a joint venture with Buffalo International ULC (“BII”). The name of the joint venture is 1724982 Alberta ULC (“Alberta ULC”), an Alberta, Canada unlimited liability company. The Company, through ICA Holdings, paid $76.5 million, which was funded entirely from cash on hand, in exchange for a 51% controlling ownership of Alberta ULC which consists of a combination of equity and a promissory note. BII owns the remaining 49% interest in Alberta ULC. Alberta ULC owns the IP rights, licenses and other assets relating principally to the Buffalo David Bitton brand (the “Buffalo brand”). Concurrently, Alberta ULC and BII entered into a license agreement pursuant to which Alberta ULC licensed the Buffalo brand to BII as licensee in certain categories and geographies (which the license agreement has expired).

86


 << Previous Page | Next Page >>