Deadline Set for December 1, 2011
WATSONVILLE, Calif., Oct 3, 2011 (GlobeNewswire via COMTEX) -- West Marine (Nasdaq:WMAR), the nation's largest specialty retailer of boating supplies and accessories, is seeking entries to its third annual Green Product of the Year contest.As part of its BlueFuture(TM) initiative to help create a sustainable future for our planet, West Marine continues to search for innovative green boating products. The Green Product of the Year will be announced and the award of $10,000 will be presented to the designated Official Winner at the 2012 Miami International Boat Show.
The competition is free and open to individuals, manufacturers, distributors and/or inventors. Judges will select the winner based on the following criteria:
1) Effectiveness: Is the product as effective as competitive products in the marketplace?
2) Economical: Is the product priced competitively with existing solutions or similar products in the market? This can be measured on a per-use basis or a cost-justified basis.
3) Environmental Impact: How does the use of this product benefit the environment? Due to the diversity of product categories, this could be expressed in reduced fuel consumption, reduction of chemicals of concern, reduced air or water pollution, healthier or more abundant fish stocks or other metrics.
4) Degree of Innovation: Was the product introduced to the marketplace in 2010, 2011 or will it be introduced in 2012? Is the product different from anything else in the marketplace? Does the product incorporate new materials or technologies?
5) Verification of claims: All environmental or efficacy claims must be verifiable and substantiated by an independent third party. Entry must provide actual data, test results, laboratory analyses, etc.
Participants can enter the contest, as well as view the complete rules and entry requirements at westmarine.com/green. The deadline for submissions is December 1, 2011.
About West Marine
West Marine, the largest specialty retailer of boating supplies and accessories, has more than 320 company-owned stores located in 38 states, Puerto Rico and Canada and three franchised stores located in Turkey. Our call center and Internet channels offer Customers over 60,000 products plus the convenience of exchanging catalog and Internet purchases at our Store locations. Our Port Supply division is one of the largest wholesale distributors of marine equipment serving boat manufacturers, marine services, commercial vessel operators and government agencies. For more information on West Marine's products and store locations, or to start shopping, visit westmarine.com or call 1-800-BOATING (1-800-262-8464).
This news release was distributed by GlobeNewswire, www.globenewswire.com
SOURCE: West Marine, Inc.
CONTACT: MEDIA CONTACTS: