The #SmileItsSummer Trend Report - commissioned by Amazon.co.uk - predicts the experiences and products that will make Brits (and their furry friends) smile this summer
Pet Wellness reaches new levels with the rise of Pet-icures (dog nail polish sales increase by 188% year-on-year on Amazon.co.uk), luxury memory foam beds (up 107% year-on-year) and doggy beer and rosé wine gift sets (up 260% year-on-year)
Huge focus on DIY, grow-your-own and fresh ingredients with sales of home-made cheese kits rising 676% year-on-year, grow-your-own mushroom kits up 206% year-on-year and bees wax wrap – an eco-friendly cling film replacement – increasing 554% year-on-year
Entertainment will be taken outside with outdoor screens and portable projectorspredicted to rise in popularity and sales of portable speakers (up 497% year-on-year) and outdoor lighting(up 527% year-on-year) soar
London - 30 May 2019: With the month of June, and start of summer, officially upon us, Amazon.co.uk has released its #SmileItsSummer Trend Report, predicting the experiences, services and products that will make Britons smile this summer including outdoor cinema screens, Aquaponic starter kits, instant cameras and pawdicure nail polish.
The independent report, commissioned by Amazon.co.uk and informed by Martin Raymond, co-founder of The Future Laboratory, used future-forecasting to identify six key trends that will take centre stage this summer.
Fresh is Best
- The kitchen will become the heart of the home once more
- We’ll grow and ferment our own produce using aquaponic kits (a Future Laboratory product to watch) as grow or make-your-own kits are becoming ever popular, including grow-your-own mushrooms (sales increase of 206% year-on-year) and make-your-own cheese (up 676% year-on-year)
- The Future Laboratory predicts vegetables and fermented products will take centre stage as we perfect the art of preparation, mincing, stuffing and dicing everything, and indulge in exotic fermented ingredients koji kvass, Jun tea and tempeh
- Entertainment experiences head outdoors this summer as British gardens are transformed into open-air cinemas
- Amazon.co.uk have everything you need to create your own backyard cinema according to The Future Laboratory including outdoor screens, outdoor projectors, firepits and pizza ovens
- Ever-popular products designed for outdoor entertaining also include Bluetooth speakers (sales increase of 497% year-on-year) and fairy lights (up 527% year-on-year)
- This season’s most covetable fitness accessory is predicted to be your workout buddy or ‘Fit-Fam’, be that a parent, child, colleague, sibling, friend or stranger as multi-generational and social fitness communities come to the fore
- Amazon.co.uk has seen a surge in sales of partner, group and family-related sporting equipment including; boxing gloves (sales increase of 223% year-on-year), Fearne Cotton’s Yoga Babies Guide (up 196% year-on-year), tag-along trailer bikes (up 133% year-on-year) and junior cricket sets (up 204% year-on-year). The Future Laboratory predicts kids’ yoga mats as a trending product to watch.
- The traditional family holiday is changing. This summer is all about ‘fly-and-try’ travel designed for those seeking new experiences that will push them outside of their comfort zones
- Brits will choose authentic experiences focused on adventure (adventure backpacks up 110% year-on-year), wellness (sales of wellness oils travel sets up 571% year-on-year) or just pure escapism (noise cancelling headphones up 164% year-on-year)
- Generation Z are looking to find unique and creative ways to document their travels using instant cameras (up 561% year-on-year) and The Future Laboratory predicts that drones designed to capture aerial footage will continue to rise in popularity this summer.
- Britons are purchasing insta-worthy home accessories that will encourage social media likes
- Amazon.co.uk sales data shows indoor plants have increased of 226% year-on-year, while The Future Laboratory predicts cocktail trollies, all things Coral Pink (Pantone 16-1546 Living Coral is 2019’s Pantone Colour of the Year) and even at-home professional photography kits will trend as Britons look to get the perfect shot
- Technology will remain a big trend according to The Future Laboratory as voice-enabled services - such as Amazon’s Alexa - help keep guests entertained and we welcome more smart items (e.g. portable smart tables) into our homes
For more information, head to Amazon.co.uk’s newly launched #SmileItsSummer store (www.amazon.co.uk/smileitssummer), where customers will be able to find the latest on-trend products featured in the #SmileItsSummer Trend Report.
Notes to Editors:
Media can download the #SmileItsSummer Trend Report.
For further information, please contact:
Amazon UK Press Office
Tel: 020 3942 1793
Everyday Made Better with Prime
Prime was designed to make our customers lives better every single day and was built on the foundation of unlimited fast delivery. Prime members receive unlimited One-Day Delivery on millions of eligible items across all categories; unlimited Same-Day Delivery on more than a million items in select areas; and ultra-fast Same-Day delivery with Prime Now across more than 30% of the U.K. population. Over 100 million paid members worldwide also enjoy the many benefits of Prime over and above unlimited fast delivery. In the U.K. that includes unlimited access to award-winning movies and TV shows with Prime Video; unlimited access to over 2 million songs with Prime Music; access to Prime Day deals; access to Audible Channels for Prime; unlimited access to thousands of books and magazine with Prime Reading; Access to Prime Wardrobe; unlimited photo storage with Prime Photos; access to Twitch Prime; early access to select Lightning Deals; one free pre-released book a month with Amazon First Reads and more. The annual fee for Prime membership is £79 and eligible customers can sign up for an Amazon Prime 30-day free trial at www.amazon.co.uk/prime.
Amazon is guided by four principles: customer obsession rather than competitor focus, passion for invention, commitment to operational excellence, and long-term thinking. Customer reviews, 1-Click shopping, personalized recommendations, Prime, Fulfilment by Amazon, AWS, Kindle Direct Publishing, Kindle, Fire tablets, Fire TV, Amazon Echo, and Alexa are some of the products and services pioneered by Amazon. For more information, visit www.amazon.co.uk/about.
You shop, Amazon donates with AmazonSmile
Customers who shop through smile.amazon.co.uk enjoy the same low prices, vast selection and convenient shopping experience – but with an added bonus that Amazon will donate 0.5% of the net purchase price of eligible products (excluding VAT, shipping fees, and returns) to one of thousands of charities that customers can choose from. The more customers use smile.amazon.co.uk, the more charities will receive in donations from Amazon, all at no additional cost to the customer or charities.
Amazon fulfilment centre tours
See the magic that happens after you click ‘buy’ on Amazon.co.uk by touring one of our fulfilment centres and seeing first-hand how we deliver for our customers. Amazon warehouse tours are available at 8 locations in England and Scotland. Book a fulfilment centre tour here.
Amazon.co.uk sales figures are based on comparing data from the following time periods:
1st June 2017 to 31st August 2017 vs. 1st June 2018 to 31st August 2018 (1) – two full summer seasons
14th April – 14th May 2018 vs. 14th April – 14th May 2019 (2)