New flush-front design with our highest-resolution 300 ppi display and crisp, printed-quality text
Now with Audible, listen to your favourite audiobook on your Bluetooth headphones or speakers
Waterproof (IPX8) so you can read by the pool, in the bath, or at the beach
LUXEMBOURG—16 October, 2018— Today, Amazon introduced the all-new reimagined Kindle Paperwhite, featuring a thinner and lighter design, sleek flush-front display, and waterproofing so you can read comfortably anywhere. It also comes with Audible so you can switch seamlessly between reading and listening to professionally narrated performances from the world’s largest selection of audiobooks. And with so much great content, the all-new Kindle Paperwhite comes with twice the storage so you can hold more large files like audiobooks, magazines, newspapers, and comics. The all-new Kindle Paperwhite still includes features customers love about Kindle like a glare-free display and battery life measured in weeks. The all-new Kindle Paperwhite is available for pre-order today for just £119.99 at www.amazon.co.uk/kindlepaperwhite and will start shipping on 7th November.
“Customers love the Kindle Paperwhite, and we’re excited to bring premium features—like a thinner and lighter flush-front design, additional storage, waterproofing, and Audible—to our most popular Kindle,” said Eric Saarnio, Head of Amazon Devices, Europe. “With the all-new Kindle Paperwhite, it’s never been easier to get lost in the author’s story no matter where you go.”
Sleek, modern design
The all-new Kindle Paperwhite features a sleek, flush-front design and a back made of soft, grippable material so it rests easily in your hand. It is the thinnest and lightest Kindle Paperwhite yet, measuring 8.18mm thick and weighing 182g—less than half the weight of many paperback books—so extended reading sessions are even more comfortable.
The six-inch, high resolution 300 ppi display features crisp, printed-quality text that reads like real paper. It also includes five LEDs and an adjustable front light for a uniform, glare-free display in any setting—even direct sunlight.
The first waterproof Kindle Paperwhite
The most popular Kindle is now waterproof so you can read in even more places. The all-new Kindle Paperwhite is designed to withstand getting splashed at the beach or dropped in the bath tub, or pool. It’s IPX8 rated to protect against immersion in up to two metres of fresh water for up to 60 minutes.
2x the storage
The all-new Kindle Paperwhite comes with twice the storage so you can keep more content on your device. Available in 8 GB, which is twice the storage as the previous generation and can hold thousands of titles, and 32 GB for storing even more content with large file sizes, like audiobooks, comics, newspapers, magazines, and more.
With Bluetooth built-in, listen to your favourite Audible book and switch seamlessly between reading and listening so you never lose your place. Access the Audible store directly on the all-new Kindle Paperwhite and find your next favourite from a library of over 300,000 professionally performed audio programmes, including Audible books, original audio productions, and exclusive content. Just connect your all-new Kindle Paperwhite to a Bluetooth-enabled device, like speakers or headphones, and dive into a story.
Even more personalisation
Kindle includes a variety of ways to tailor your experience so you can read your book your way. Today, we’re introducing even more personalisation features, including:
- An updated home—The new home experience makes it easier to find your next read based on your reading history, including books from Kindle Unlimited or Prime Reading. You can also view fun facts and tips so you can get the most out of your device.
- Easily personalise your reading—Now save multiple reading settings, selecting the font, boldness level, and orientation settings you prefer all from the main menu and quickly switch between those settings.
Starting tomorrow, the updated home experience, as well as the ability to quickly save and access reading settings, will be delivered as a free, over-the-air update to Kindle Paperwhite Gen 6 (released in 2013) and newer devices.
The features readers love about Kindle
By design, Kindle devices are purpose-built for reading so you can lose yourself in a book. Unlike tablets and phones, a Kindle has no glare, even in bright sunlight, and won’t distract you with social media, emails, text messages, or notifications. The all-new Kindle Paperwhite includes features that have made the Kindle family the best devices for reading, enhancing the experience beyond a print book:
- Whispersync and Whispersync for Voice—Saves and synchronises your last page read, bookmarks, and annotations from your Kindle eBooks and Audible books across all of your Amazon devices and Kindle apps, so you can always pick up where you left off on any device, whether you’re reading or listening.
- Goodreads—Kindle is integrated with the world’s largest site for readers and book recommendations, with over 50 million members, 1.3 billion books added, and 47 million book reviews.
- X-Ray—Explore the “Bones of the Book”—see all of the passages across a book that mention relevant ideas, fictional characters, historical figures, places, or topics of interest.
- Word Wise—Available on many popular English language titles, Word Wise makes it easier to enjoy and quickly understand more challenging books. Short and simple definitions automatically appear above difficult words, so you can keep reading with fewer interruptions.
- Family Library—With Kindle and Kindle reading apps, you can access not only your own books, but also books from the Amazon account of a spouse or partner.
- Smart Lookup—Integrates a full dictionary definition with other reference information via X-Ray and Wikipedia.
World’s Best eBook Store
Kindle e-readers come with instant access to the Kindle Store, which includes:
- World’s best selection—Millions of books, newspapers and magazines, including the latest best sellers, and programmes like Prime Reading and Kindle Unlimited, both of which continue to grow.
- Kindle exclusives—Over one million books are exclusive to the Kindle Store.
- Amazon First Reads—Early access to an editorially curated list of six new books one month before they officially publish. Every month, customers can choose one Kindle book from our editors’ picks for £0.99 and also shop print editions for £3.99 or less.
Pricing and Availability
The all-new Kindle Paperwhite is £119.99 for the 8 GB model and £149.99 for the 32 GB model. The 32 GB with free cellular connectivity is £219.99. All are available today for pre-order and will begin shipping to customers on 7th November. The all-new Kindle Paperwhite will also be available in stores and online at Argos, Dixons, John Lewis & Partners, littlewoods.com, Tesco and very.co.uk.
Customers can also purchase a cover with a thin design that snaps perfectly onto the all-new Kindle Paperwhite. The cover opens like a book, automatically waking the device when opened and putting it to sleep when closed. Choose from three materials in a variety of colours: a premium leather cover for £49.99 in rustic tan; leather covers, all £34.99 in black, merlot, red, and indigo purple; and water-safe fabric covers, all £24.99 in charcoal black, yellow, and blue. Customers can learn more at www.amazon.co.uk/kindlepaperwhite.
Amazon is guided by four principles: customer obsession rather than competitor focus, passion for invention, commitment to operational excellence, and long-term thinking. Customer reviews, 1-Click shopping, personalized recommendations, Prime, Fulfillment by Amazon, AWS, Kindle Direct Publishing, Kindle, Fire tablets, Fire TV, Amazon Echo, and Alexa are some of the products and services pioneered by Amazon. For more information, visit amazon.com/about and follow @AmazonNews.