|Kindle Fire HDX Now Available in UK — Powerhouse Tablets Built for Work and Play|
All-new Kindle Fire HDX — stunning new 7" or 8.9" HDX display, quad-core 2.2 GHz processor with 3x the processing power, 2x more memory, 11 hours of battery life, and dual stereo speakers with Dolby Digital Plus audio
New HDX display goes beyond HD — exceptional pixel density, perfect 100% sRGB colour accuracy, reduced glare, dynamic image contrast and improved brightness for the best viewing experience, indoors or out
Powerful quad-core Snapdragon 800 processor running at 2.2 GHz delivers over 3x the processing power for fast and fluid performance — the only tablets with a processor over 2 GHz
Both HDX 7" and 8.9" available with 3G and 4G LTE connectivity from Vodafone
Lightest large-screen tablet — Kindle Fire HDX 8.9" is astonishingly light at 374 grams
Introducing the Mayday button — revolutionary on-device tech support — free, 24/7, 365 days a year
Stay connected and productive with updated e-mail, calendar and Silk browser, plus seamless integration with Facebook and Twitter; enterprise-ready with support for encryption, Kerberos Intranet, secure Wi-Fi connections and VPN integration
Kindle FreeTime gives parents a simple, engaging way to manage the way children use Kindle Fire —parents select content and set time limits by content type — coming soon
Luxembourg—16 October 2013—Today, Amazon announced that the all-new Kindle Fire HDX is now available for customers in the UK. The Kindle Fire HDX tablets combine groundbreaking hardware, the latest version of Fire OS and new features and services such as Kindle FreeTime, expanded X-Ray for films and TV, and the revolutionary new Mayday button. Learn more about the new Kindle Fire HDX family at http://www.amazon.co.uk.
Kindle Fire HDX Family (Photo: Business Wire)
The new Kindle Fire HDX family features:
- Stunning exclusive HDX display — beyond HD with exceptional pixel density (323 ppi for 7", 339 ppi for 8.9"), perfect 100% sRGB colour accuracy, reduced glare, dynamic image contrastand improved brightness for better viewing under any lighting conditions.
- Powerful quad-core Snapdragon 800 processor running at 2.2 GHz provides over 3x the processing power compared with the previous generation, plus the latest graphics engine and 2x more memory for fast and fluid performance. These are the only tablets with a processor over 2 GHz.
- Astonishingly light design — at just 374 grams, the 8.9" Kindle Fire HDX is the lightest large-screen tablet, 34% lighter than the previous generation.
- Powered by the latest version of Fire OS — Fire OS 3.0 "Mojito" — with hundreds of new and upgraded features, platform updates and Amazon-exclusive services.
- New Mayday button delivers revolutionary, live tech support — one tap connects you to an Amazon expert who can guide you remotely through any feature — 24/7, 365 days a year, and free of charge. 15 seconds or less is the Mayday response time goal.
- Kindle FreeTime extends parental controls to give parents a simple, engaging way to manage the way children use Kindle Fire — parents select content and set time limits by content type.
- Watch thousands of films and TV shows with LOVEFiLM, Europe's leading film subscription service. Expanded X-Ray for films and TV, adding trivia, character backstories and soundtrack information.
- All-day battery life — up to 11 hours of mixed use and 17 hours of reading.
- Updated e-mail, calendar and Silk browser to stay connected and productive.
- New enterprise features including hardware and software encryption, Kerberos Intranet, secure
- Wi-Fi connections, VPN integration and wireless printing.
- Both HDX 7" and 8.9" are available with 3G and ultra-fast 4G LTE, available from Vodafone. Kindle Fire HDX offers you an optional promotional bundle for just £25. This includes 5 GB of data, 20 GB of Amazon Cloud storage and £5 credit for the Amazon Appstore.
- Dual stereo speakers with Dolby Digital Plus audio and virtual 5.1 multi-channel surround sound — the standard in high-end audio.
- Front-facing HD camera makes it easy to stay in touch with Skype, plus a new 8 megapixel wide- aperture rear-facing camera on the 8.9" Fire HDX offers crisp photos and 1080p HD video.
- Full integration with the world's best content ecosystem — over 27 million films, TV shows, songs, apps, games, books, audiobooks and magazines.
- New Origami covers feature an innovative design that allows you to position Fire HDX in both portrait and landscape mode.
"It's been just one year since we introduced Kindle Fire in the UK, and we are grateful for the overwhelmingly positive response from customers. The team is innovating at an unbelievable speed, and we're excited to bring our new Kindle Fire HDX to the UK," said Jeff Bezos, Amazon.com Founder and CEO. "2.2 GHz processor, 339 ppi display, new 34% lighter design, Fire OS 3.0, and new features such as Kindle FreeTime, expanded X-Ray for films and TV, and the revolutionary new Mayday button. We've worked hard to pack this much hardware, innovation, and customer obsession into these prices."
Here's what reviewers in the US have to say about the new Kindle Fire HDX:
- "As it is, the Kindle Fire HDX is a lightweight, sharp-screened, superfast pleasure." – New York Times
- "It [Mayday] is, in short, an amazing idea well-implemented." – TechCrunch
- "Spending the weekend with Amazon's Kindle Fire HDX 7-inch tablet, it's easy to see why Amazon has built a commanding lead in the Android tablet space." – Mashable
- "There's a lot to like about the Kindle Fire HDX. The screen is superb, the form-factor sober but sturdy, and the processor cutting edge for the market." – SlashGear
- "Armed with a powerful processor and Amazon's exhaustive content library, the Kindle Fire HDX delivers incredible value for its price, especially for Amazon Prime members." – CNET
- "For the first time, truly, the company has made a product that won't make some users feel like they're compromising an excellent user experience for a cheap price tag. Because now, Amazon's tablet line has both." – Fortune
First-Ever, Exclusive HDX Display — Beyond HD
Amazon's exclusive HDX display brings together exceptional pixel density (1920x1200 at 323 ppi for 7", 2560x1600 at 339 ppi for 8.9") and perfect colour accuracy (100% sRGB), resulting in images and videos that display as the photographer or videographer intended. The new display also features dynamic image contrast, a unique algorithm that adjusts the colour of each pixel depending on the ambient brightness in order to maximise contrast. This makes images and videos even easier to see under any lighting conditions, including outdoors. See a video: http://www.amazon.com.
2.2 GHz, Quad-Core Processor and 2x the RAM
Kindle Fire HDX tablets are the first tablets powered by the most advanced quad-core Snapdragon 800 processor. These are the only tablets with a processor over 2 GHz — the four cores can each run at 2.2 GHz, providing 28 billion instructions per second — over 3x the processing power of the previous generation Kindle Fire HD. Fire HDX also doubles the RAM to 2 GB, resulting in faster app launching times, faster website loading times, smoother multi-tasking, and better overall performance.
New Graphics Engine Perfect for Gaming
The new Adreno 330 graphics engine on Kindle Fire HDX delivers 4x the graphics performance of the previous generation Kindle Fire HD. This combination of a new graphics engine, HDX display, quad-core processor and 2x the memory creates a more immersive, high frame-rate HD gaming experience.
Lightest Large-Screen Tablet — 374 grams, 34% Lighter
Amazon integrated the capacitive touch layer directly into the glass display on Fire HDX, leaving a lighter, single layer instead of the typical 2-layered display stack. The Kindle Fire HDX 8.9" frame is a single piece of machined magnesium with a blend of glass and nylon moulded onto the unibody to create openings for the antennas and maximise signal strength without sacrificing sturdiness. The result is the lightest large-screen tablet — at just 374 grams, it is 34% lighter than the previous generation large-screen Fire HD tablet.
11 Hours of Battery, Up to 17 Hours for Reading
Even with all this additional power, Fire HDX still delivers 11 hours of mixed use battery life. When you are reading, Fire HDX powers down the CPU and any unnecessary system components automatically and stores the displayed text in dedicated, low-power memory — the result is up to 17 hours of battery life for reading.
8MP Rear-Facing Camera for Kindle Fire HDX 8.9"
Both the 7" and 8.9" Kindle Fire HDX feature a front-facing HD camera to help you stay in touch with friends and family with Skype. Fire HDX 8.9" features an 8 megapixel rear-facing camera that allows for high-resolution photos and 1080p HD video, plus an LED flash, Electronic Image Stabilisation, and a wide-aperture 5P f2.2 lens that lets in more light, reducing exposure times and producing sharper images. See a video: http://www.amazon.com.
New Origami Covers
New origami-style cover design provides a simple stand for both portrait and landscape positions, and is secured magnetically for easy attachment and removal. The cover for the 8.9" Fire HDX comes with a customised sliding feature that quickly exposes the rear-facing camera and launches the camera application automatically so you won't miss a great photo opportunity. Read more: http://www.amazon.co.uk.
The Mayday Button
Revolutionary On-Device Tech Support from Amazon's Tech Advisors
Having trouble or want to learn how to use a new feature? Simply tap the Mayday button in Quick Settings and an Amazon expert will appear on your Fire HDX who can co-pilot you through any feature by drawing on your screen, walking you through how to do something yourself, or doing it for you — whatever works best. 15 seconds or less is the Mayday response time goal. Mayday is available 24/7, 365 days a year, and it's free. Preview how the Mayday button works: http://www.amazon.co.uk.
New Features and Services
Fire OS 3.0 "Mojito"
Kindle Fire HDX is powered by the latest version of Fire OS – Fire OS 3.0 "Mojito", which introduces hundreds of new and upgraded features, Amazon-exclusive services, platform updates and more. Fire OS starts with Android and adds cloud services, a user interface that prioritises content, built-in media libraries, productivity apps and low-level platform enhancements to integrate Amazon's digital content and improve performance for Kindle Fire tablets. If an app runs on Android, it can run on Fire OS. Fire OS includes new features such as Quiet Time, which lets you mute all incoming notifications or calendar reminders and can be tied to a particular activity, such as reading. Fire OS also adds a grid view in addition to Carousel view, plus Quick Switch which makes it easy to go between multiple apps and, unlike standard Android, works with individual content items, such as different textbooks, without navigating via the Home screen. Read more: http://www.amazon.co.uk.
Kindle FreeTime extends parental controls to give parents a simple, engaging way to manage the way children use Kindle Fire. With FreeTime, parents never have to worry about what content their children will access — parents select all of the content their children can see, and children can't exit FreeTime without a password. FreeTime also lets parents limit their children's screen time by content type ─ they may choose to limit games, for example, but make reading time unlimited. Kindle FreeTime will be available later this year.
X-Ray for Films and TV — Now Even Better
A customer favourite, X-Ray for Films and TV now shows the names of songs as they play as well as a list of all music in the film or TV show, and lets you jump to the scene in which a particular song is playing. X-Ray also shows trivia items in context with the action on the screen. X-Ray for TV also provides character backstories so you can easily remind yourself of the character's history. X-Ray is offered only by Amazon and is powered by IMDb.
You can now wirelessly mirror films, TV shows apps, games and photos from your tablets to your big-screen TV with Miracast-enabled accessories or TVs.
Stay Connected with Expanded E-mail, Docs and Printing
With the new e-mail app on Fire HDX, it is easier than ever to set up your accounts, group conversations by subject, sync your e-mail and more. Reading and managing documents on Fire HDX is simple: e-mail them, sync them from a computer with Cloud Drive, clip them from the web with Send to Kindle, or transfer them via USB. Coming mid-November as part of the free, automatic Fire OS 3.1 update — print documents, photos, e-mails and calendar events directly from Kindle Fire via compatible wireless printers.
Complete Enterprise Support
Fire HDX is ready for work, with support for the encryption of the user partition of the device to secure data; support for Kerberos authentication so corporate users can browse secure intranet websites; the ability to connect to secure enterprise Wi-Fi networks as well as corporate networks via a native or a 3rd-party VPN client; and Mobile Device Management solutions such as AirWatch, Citrix, Fiberlink, Good Technology, and SOTI. Some of these features will be delivered as part of the Fire OS 3.1 update.
Organise your books, newspapers, magazines and apps in customised collections for easy reference. Amazon's Whispersync technology synchronises the collections across your Kindle devices and reading apps so they're available on all of your devices. Cloud Collections will be available as part of the Fire OS 3.1 update.
All the Content
The Kindle Fire family offers a vast selection of digital content — over 27 million films, TV shows, songs, apps, games, books, audiobooks and magazines — including hundreds of thousands of exclusives:
- With Amazon Appstore for Android customers have access to the most popular apps and games, as well as Appstore features such as 'Free App of the Day,' which offers a paid app for free every day. Apps and games purchased from Amazon Appstore can be used across the Kindle Fire family as well as your Android devices, enabling you to buy an app or game once and enjoy it everywhere.
- Top popular apps: Facebook, Met Office, Skype, LinkedIn, Evernote and Spotify
- Top games: Angry Birds Star Wars II, Despicable Me: Minion Rush, Subway Surfers, 'Kingdoms of Camelot: Battle for the North'
- Top apps for kids: Lego Duplo Train, Dr Panda's Handyman, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Hello Kitty Café
- 2 million Kindle books including over 400,000 titles which are exclusive to the Kindle store including books by bestselling authors.
- Lowest book prices – over 800,000 titles are £3.99 or less.
- Kindle Owners' Lending Library — Amazon Prime members can choose from over 400,000 titles, including all seven Harry Potter books, to borrow for free, as frequently as a book a month with no waiting and no due dates.
- Illustrated and picture books all rich in colour – a large selection of children's books, such as The Octonauts, Winnie the Pooh and The Tiger Who Came to Tea, graphic novels such as The Walking Dead and cookbooks from Britain's best loved chefs, including Nigel Slater's 'Eat'.
- Books by UK Kindle Direct Publishing (KDP) authors including – The Magpies by Mark Edwards, The Back Road by Rachel Abbott and Single Woman Seeks Revenge by Tracy Bloom.
- Kindle Singles – compelling ideas expressed at their natural length.
- Access to thousands of films and TV shows with LOVEFiLM, Europe's leading film subscription service. Enjoy US hit TV series 'Copper' and 'Vikings', as well as comedies 'I Give it a Year' and 'Bridesmaids' exclusive to LOVEFiLM Instant. Every Kindle Fire comes with one free month of LOVEFiLM.
- Thousands of films and TV shows with LOVEFiLM, Europe's leading film subscription service. Along with top films and TV episodes, enjoy content exclusive to LOVEFiLM such as US hit TV series 'Crossing Lines', 'Copper' and 'Vikings'. Every Kindle Fire comes with one free month of LOVEFiLM.
- Millions of songs from hundreds of thousands of artists. Customers can stream purchases from the Cloud, download playlists for listening offline and store their personal collection in the Cloud for accessing anytime, anywhere. With AutoRip, the latest in a series of customer benefits exclusive to the Amazon ecosystem, customers who have purchased eligible CDs and vinyl from Amazon.co.uk dating back to 1999 will find MP3 versions added to their Amazon Cloud Player account automatically, free of charge.
- Over 600 newspapers and magazines — including Telegraph, Mail Plus, Glamour, OK!, HELLO!, Marie Claire, Top Gear Magazine, Vogue, GQ, What's on TV and Woman with glossy full-colour layouts, HD photography and beautifully detailed illustrations.
- Over 100,000 audiobook titles available – including Inferno, by Dan Brown. Download any audiobook for free with a 30-day trial at Audible.co.uk.
"Buy Once, Enjoy Everywhere" with the Best Cross-Platform Interoperability
With apps available on the largest number of devices and platforms, Amazon makes it easier than ever to access your content anytime, anywhere. Use the Kindle, LOVEFiLM, Amazon MP3 and Amazon Appstore for Android apps to "Buy Once, Enjoy Everywhere." No other company offers the same level of flexibility with your content.
The new Kindle Fire family optionally comes with special offers that appear on the lock-screen. These special money-saving offers could include offers on Kindle accessories or on our digital catalogue of Kindle books, apps, games and MP3, plus many more.
Pricing & Availability
The 7" Kindle Fire HDX is £199. It is available for pre-order starting today at http://www.amazon.co.uk and it will begin shipping 13th November. The 4G version is £269 — you can pre-order today to reserve your place in line at http://www.amazon.co.uk and it will begin shipping on 27th November.
The 8.9" Kindle Fire HDX is £329. It is available for pre-order starting today at http://www.amazon.co.uk and it will begin shipping on 19th November. The 4G version is £399 — you can pre-order today to reserve your place in line at http://www.amazon.co.uk and it will begin shipping on 13th December.
For more information and images please visit the press centre – http://www.amazon.co.uk
Amazon.co.uk opened its virtual doors in October 1998 and strives to be Earth's most customer-centric company, where customers can find and discover anything they might want to buy online, and endeavours to offer its customers the lowest possible prices.
Amazon.co.uk and other sellers offer millions of new, refurbished and used items in categories such as Baby, Books, Car & Motorbike, Clothing, DIY & Tools, DVD, Electronics & Photo, Grocery, Health & Beauty, Home & Garden, Jewellery, MP3, Music, Musical Instruments & DJ, Office, PC, Pet Supplies, Shoes, Software, Sports & Leisure, Toys & Games, Video Games and Watches.
Kindle is the world's bestselling e-reader family and Kindle Paperwhite is our most advanced e-reader. It features new display technology with higher contrast, the next generation built-in light, a faster processor, the latest touch technology, and exclusive new features designed from the ground up for readers. Kindle, the lightest and smallest Kindle, features improved fonts and faster page turns. The new Kindle Fire HDX features a stunning exclusive 7" or 8.9" HDX display, a quad-core 2.2 GHz processor, 2x more memory, and 11 hours of battery life, as well as exclusive new features of Fire OS 3.0. The all-new Kindle Fire HD includes an HD display, high-performance processor and dual speakers at a breakthrough price.
Amazon Web Services provides Amazon's developer customers with access to in-the-cloud infrastructure services based on Amazon's own back-end technology platform, which developers can use to enable virtually any type of business.
Amazon.co.uk is a trading name for Amazon EU S.à.r.l, Amazon Services Europe S.à.r.l and Amazon Media EU S.à.r.l. All three are wholly owned subsidiaries of global online retailer Amazon.com, Inc (NASDAQ:AMZN), located in Seattle, Washington. Amazon and its affiliates operate websites, including www.amazon.com, www.amazon.co.uk, www.amazon.de, www.amazon.co.jp, www.amazon.fr, www.amazon.ca, www.amazon.cn, www.amazon.it, www.amazon.es, www.amazon.com.br, www.amazon.in, and www.amazon.com.mx. As used herein, "Amazon.com," "we," "our" and similar terms include Amazon.com, Inc., and its subsidiaries, unless the context indicates otherwise. Forward-Looking Statements
This announcement contains forward-looking statements within the meaning of Section 27A of the Securities Act of 1933 and Section 21E of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934. Actual results may differ significantly from management's expectations. These forward-looking statements involve risks and uncertainties that include, among others, risks related to competition, management of growth, new products, services and technologies, potential fluctuations in operating results, international expansion, outcomes of legal proceedings and claims, fulfillment center optimization, seasonality, commercial agreements, acquisitions and strategic transactions, foreign exchange rates, system interruption, inventory, government regulation and taxation, payments and fraud. More information about factors that potentially could affect Amazon.com's financial results is included in Amazon.com's filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission, including its most recent Annual Report on Form 10-K and subsequent filings.
|"Safe Harbor" Statement under the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995: Statements in this press release regarding Amazon.co.uk Ltd's business which are not historical facts are "forward-looking statements" that involve risks and uncertainties. For a discussion of such risks and uncertainties, which could cause actual results to differ from those contained in the forward-looking statements, see "Risk Factors" in the Company's Annual Report or Form 10-K for the most recently ended fiscal year.|
Subscribe to the PR RSS Feed.