Windsor, Ontario climbs the ranks to No. 1 with the most pet-related items purchased per capita of any city in Canada
SEATTLE—September 22, 2014 — Today, Amazon.ca introduced the second annual ranking of the top cities in Canada with the most pampered pets. The list was compiled by comparing Amazon.ca pet item sales data from August 2013 – August 2014 on a per capita basis in cities with more than 100,000 residents.
The Top 20 most pampered pets cities in Canada are:
- Windsor, Ontario
- Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
- Regina, Saskatchewan
- Markham, Ontario
- Richmond, British Columbia
- Gatineau, Quebec
- Kitchener, Ontario
- Burnaby, British Columbia
- London, Ontario
- Halifax, Nova Scotia
- Laval, Quebec
- Vancouver, British Columbia
- Winnipeg, Manitoba
- Calgary, Alberta
- Edmonton, Alberta
- Brampton, Ontario
- Mississauga, Ontario
- Surrey, British Columbia
- Ottawa, Ontario
- Hamilton, Ontario
In taking a closer look, the Amazon.ca pet data reveals:
- The New Reigning Champ: There's a new champ in town, with Windsor taking the overall No. 1 spot, rising from No. 15 last year. The city also ranked highest for pampering their pooches, ordering the most dog carriers, beds, collars, treats and toys.
- Amour De Chat: Gatineau residents topped the list as cat lovers, pampering their feline friends and buying the most activity trees, scratching posts, cat toys and more. Following suit as cat lovers are Windsor and Regina.
- All the Birds of a Feather: London locals, followed by Edmonton and Regina, pamper their feathered friends the most, with items including perches and bird cages.
- Treat Yo' Self: We all like a little treat now and again and that's no different for our pets. New to this year's ranking is the city that pampers their pets with the most treats, like bones and catnip. Saskatoon ranks No. 1 in this category, followed by Regina and Gatineau.
- Toy Story: Another new category this year is the city that buys the most toys for their pets. From teaser wands to flying discs and chew toys, pets across Canada are getting treated to some fun products. Regina, followed by Saskatoon and Kitchener, purchased the most toys for their furry, feathered and scaly friends.
- West Coast Pond Lovers: Burnaby, followed by Richmond ranked No. 1 and No. 2, for the cities buying the most fish and aquatic pet items, including aquarium accessories and filters.
- Regina's Reptiles: For the second straight year, Regina ranks highest for buying the most reptile and amphibian products followed by Saskatoon and Brampton.
"For the second year in a row, we're finding that Canadians are devoted animal lovers and it's fun to see where the most pampered pets reside,” said Andrea Leigh, Category Leader of Amazon.ca Pets. "Our goal is to provide Amazon.ca customers with the largest selection of products—from toys to treats and much more —making it easy for animal lovers to take the best care of their furry, scaly or feathered friends.”
To view Amazon.ca's selection of hundreds of thousands of Pet items – whether you're a cat, dog, bird, reptile & amphibian, or fish & aquatic animal owner – visit http://www.amazon.ca/pets.
Amazon.com opened on the World Wide Web in July 1995. The company is guided by four principles: customer obsession rather than competitor focus, passion for invention, commitment to operational excellence, and long-term thinking. Customer reviews, 1-Click shopping, personalized recommendations, Prime, Fulfillment by Amazon, AWS, Kindle Direct Publishing, Kindle, Fire phone, Fire tablets, and Fire TV are some of the products and services pioneered by Amazon.