Android App Is Next Step Toward Empowering Users to Socialize and Engage with IMDb Content Online and Off
SEATTLE, WA. -- June 30, 2010—IMDb.com, Inc. (www.imdb.com), the authoritative source of information on movies, TV and celebrities, and part of the Amazon.com, Inc. group of companies, today announced IMDb Movies & TV App for Android as well as its new mobile and social initiative, “IMDb Everywhere.” Via the IMDb Movies & TV app on the iPhone, iPod touch iPad and Android, as well as social integrations on Facebook and Twitter, users can now discover, view and share IMDb content whether they are online or using their preferred mobile device.
“We’re making a significant commitment to our ‘IMDb Everywhere’ initiative, expanding our footprint across the web and onto emerging technologies and platforms,” said Col Needham, IMDb founder and CEO. “Our customers want to socially engage with IMDb’s comprehensive and authoritative entertainment content anywhere they are – from IMDb.com to their mobile phone to Facebook and Twitter.”
IMDb’s New Android App
IMDb’s Movies & TV App for Android-powered devices is custom-made for the Android platform, optimizing the user interface based on the capabilities of the platform. Functionality includes voice search, sharing, option menus and much more. As with IMDb’s other leading apps, users can search and browse the web’s largest entertainment database, look up local movie show times and TV listings, watch trailers, shop, share and much more.
- In just six months, the IMDb’s Movies & TV app for iPhone, iPod touch and iPad has been installed by millions of users worldwide and is being downloaded at a rate of nearly 1 million per month.
- IMDb’s Movies &TV App for iPad, which gives customers mobile access to the most comprehensive movie and TV database on the web as well as high-resolution video, is frequently ranked in the Top 10 on the iTunes Top Free Apps chart within the Entertainment category.
- IMDb’s new “Like” and “Share” buttons further expand the IMDb experience, making it easy and fun for users to indicate their favorite movies, TV shows and celebrities and then publish their preferences on Facebook and Twitter.
- In response to positive customer feedback, “Like” and “Share” buttons have just been added to all movie trailers, character pages and news stories on IMDb, with deeper integrations to come.
- IMDb recently launched an interactive Twitter page. Fans can tweet a question about a celebrity name or film, and the relevant information is tweeted back (follow @imdbbot or visit http://twitter.com/imdbbot). IMDb’s main Twitter account (@imdb) has more than 86,000 followers.
To learn more and download IMDb’s just-launched Android app, go to: www.imdb.com/android/
IMDb Movies & TV App for iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad is available for free from the iTunes App Store: http://itunes.apple.com/app/imdb-movies-tv/id342792525?mt=8
IMDb (www.imdb.com) is one of the most popular online entertainment destinations, with over 57 million unique visitors each month. IMDb offers a searchable database of over 1.5 million movies, TV and entertainment programs and over 3.2 million cast and crew members, making it the Web's most comprehensive and authoritative source of information on movies, TV and celebrities. IMDb features include cast lists, photographs, quotes, trivia, reviews, box-office data, celebrity biographies, coverage of film festivals and major events, and the ability for users to watch trailers, clips and thousands of full-length TV episodes and movies for free. IMDb also offers IMDbPro (www.imdbpro.com), a site designed specifically for entertainment industry professionals, and IMDb Resume (www.imdbresume.com), a service that enables actors and crew members to promote themselves directly to IMDb's audience of movie lovers and movie professionals. Subscribers to IMDbPro now also get all of the benefits of Resume as well. IMDb.com is operated by IMDb.com, Inc, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Amazon.com, Inc. (NASDAQ:AMZN) (www.amazon.com).
This announcement contains forward-looking statements within the meaning of Section 27A of the Securities Act of 1933 and Section 21E of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934. Actual results may differ significantly from management's expectations. These forward-looking statements involve risks and uncertainties that include, among others, risks related to competition, management of growth, new products, services and technologies, potential fluctuations in operating results, international expansion, outcomes of legal proceedings and claims, fulfillment center optimization, seasonality, commercial agreements, acquisitions and strategic transactions, foreign exchange rates, system interruption, inventory, government regulation and taxation, payments and fraud. More information about factors that potentially could affect Amazon.com's financial results is included in Amazon.com's filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission, including its most recent Annual Report on Form 10-K and subsequent filings.
Portions of this page are modifications based on work created and shared by Google and used according to terms described in the Creative Commons 3.0 Attribution License.
Emily Glassman, IMDb, 206-266-8077, email@example.com