Kindle—the smallest, lightest Kindle ever, and the world’s #1 best-selling e-reader for five years running—available today for Brazilian customers with a suggested retail price of R$299
Brazilian customers will be able to purchase the R$299 Kindle just in time for Christmas
SEATTLE—(BUSINESS WIRE)—Dec.18, 2012—(NASDAQ:AMZN)—Amazon today announced that Kindle—the best-selling e-reader in the world for five years running—is available starting today in Brazil from Pontofrio.com.br and Livraria da Vila, with a suggested retail price of R$299.
“Amazon is thrilled to bring the R$299 Kindle to Brazilian customers through Livraria da Vila and Pontofrio.com.br, making it easier and more affordable than ever for Brazilian readers to own a Kindle,” said Alexandre Szapiro, Vice President of Kindle. “Now customers in Brazil can enjoy all the benefits of reading on Kindle with the option to buy in installments.”
“Kindle allows us to strengthen and deepen the relationship with our customers who will continue to enjoy our large, carefully curated selection of physical books as they have over the last 27 years,” said Samuel Seibel, owner of Livraria da Vila. “Now, with Kindle, we can offer customers who choose to read digitally the world’s best-selling e-reader and the largest selection of Brazilian-language eBooks”.
“At Pontofrio.com we are strongly committed to delivering high value to our customers focusing on innovation, quality and price, which are precisely the same attributes behind the Kindle devices,” said German Quiroga, President of Nova Pontocom. “Furthermore, we want our customers to have a great shopping experience and we are thrilled to offer them access to one of the hottest products in Brazil today!”
Kindle—the Smallest, Lightest Kindle Ever—just R$299
- Small and Light: Kindle is small and light. At only 170 grams, it’s the lightest Kindle we’ve ever made, weighing less than a typical paperback. Kindle is small enough to fit in a pocket and take with you everywhere, while still keeping the same 6-inch e-ink display found in previous generations of Kindle.
- Electronic Ink Display: Kindle’s high-contrast electronic e-ink display delivers clear, crisp text and images. Unlike LCD screens, Kindle reads like real paper, with no glare, even in bright sunlight.
- Page Turn Buttons and Even Faster Page Turns: Page turn buttons allow you to easily turn pages with either hand, while continuing to hold the Kindle in a reading position. Kindle also features 15 percent faster page turns than the previous generation Kindle.
- Built-In Wi-Fi: Kindle has built-in Wi-Fi support.
- Books in 60 Seconds: With fast, free wireless delivery, customers can start reading books on Kindle in less than 60 seconds.
- Holds up to 1,400 Books: Kindle allows customers to carry their entire library in their pocket.
- Up To One Month Battery Life: Read for up to one month on a single charge with wireless off.
- Free Cloud Storage: Books purchased from the Kindle Store are automatically backed up for free in the Worry-Free Archive where they can be re-downloaded wirelessly, anytime.
- Whispersync: Amazon’s Whispersync technology synchronizes a customer’s last page read, bookmarks and annotations across all of their devices, so they can always pick up where they left off.
- Massive Selection: The Kindle Store has over 1.4 million books, including 13,000 Portuguese-language books, new releases, and 43 of 60 Veja best sellers.
- Free Books: Over 1,500 free Portuguese-language books are available to read on Kindle. Customers can also choose to read millions of free books on Kindle.
- Free Book Samples: In most cases, first chapters of Kindle books are available for customers to download and read for free before they decide to buy.
- Reading Features: Kindle offers three font styles and eight different text sizes, so customers can easily customize their reading experience. Plus, with improved fonts and faster page turns, reading on Kindle is better than ever. Kindle also comes with a built-in dictionary, instant lookup of words, popular highlights, Facebook and Twitter integration, support for bookmarks and annotations and more.
- Parental Controls: Customers can restrict access to the Experimental Web Browser, Archived Items and the Kindle Store before giving Kindle to a child.
- Instant Dictionary Lookups: Customers enjoy instant dictionary lookups with the built-in Dicionário Priberam da Língua Portuguesa.
Customers can visit the Brazil Kindle Store at www.amazon.com.br.
Amazon.com.br opened on the World Wide Web in December 2012. Amazon.com.br offers customers the largest selection of the most popular eBooks and lowest prices of any eBookstore in Brazil.
The store offers over 1.4 million eBooks, available to Brazilian customers priced in Brazilian Reais (R$), including more than 13,000 Portuguese-language books, and the most free books in Portuguese of any digital bookstore. Customers can also download free Kindle reading apps in Portuguese for all of the most popular devices and platforms, including iPhone, iPad, Android phones, Android tablets, PC and Mac. With the free Kindle apps, customers “Buy Once, Read Everywhere”—Amazon’s Whispersync technology automatically synchronizes a customer’s Kindle library, as well as their notes, highlights, and last page read across all of their Kindle devices and Kindle apps.
Amazon.com.br is operated by an affiliate of Amazon.com, Inc. (NASDAQ:AMZN), a Fortune 500 company based in Seattle, who opened on the World Wide Web in July 1995 and today offers Earth’s Biggest Selection. Amazon.com, Inc. seeks to be Earth’s most customer-centric company, where customers can find and discover anything they might want to buy online, and endeavors to offer its customers the lowest possible prices.
Amazon and its affiliates operate websites, including www.amazon.com, www.amazon.co.uk, www.amazon.de, www.amazon.co.jp, www.amazon.fr, www.amazon.ca, www.amazon.cn, www.amazon.it, www.amazon.es and amazon.com.br. As used herein, “Amazon.com,” “we,” “our” and similar terms include Amazon.com, Inc., and its subsidiaries, unless the context indicates otherwise.
Amazon.com, Inc. (NASDAQ:AMZN), a Fortune 500 company based in Seattle, opened on the World Wide Web in July 1995 and today offers Earth’s Biggest Selection. Amazon.com, Inc. seeks to be Earth’s most customer-centric company, where customers can find and discover anything they might want to buy online, and endeavors to offer its customers the lowest possible prices. Amazon.com and other sellers offer millions of unique new, refurbished and used items in categories such as Books; Movies, Music & Games; Digital Downloads; Electronics & Computers; Home & Garden; Toys, Kids & Baby; Grocery; Apparel, Shoes & Jewelry; Health & Beauty; Sports & Outdoors; and Tools, Auto & Industrial. Amazon Web Services provides Amazon’s developer customers with access to in-the-cloud infrastructure services based on Amazon’s own back-end technology platform, which developers can use to enable virtually any type of business. Kindle Paperwhite is the most-advanced e-reader ever constructed with 62% more pixels and 25% increased contrast, a patented built-in front light for reading in all lighting conditions, extra-long battery life, and a thin and light design. The new latest generation Kindle, the lightest and smallest Kindle, now features new, improved fonts and faster page turns. Kindle Fire HD features a stunning custom high-definition display, exclusive Dolby audio with dual stereo speakers, high-end, laptop-grade Wi-Fi with dual-band support, dual-antennas and MIMO for faster streaming and downloads, enough storage for HD content, and the latest generation processor and graphics engine—and it is available in two display sizes—7” and 8.9”. The large-screen Kindle Fire HD is also available with 4G wireless, and comes with a groundbreaking $49.99 introductory 4G LTE data package. The all-new Kindle Fire features a 20% faster processor, 40% faster performance, twice the memory, and longer battery life.
Amazon and its affiliates operate websites, including www.amazon.com, www.amazon.co.uk, www.amazon.de, www.amazon.co.jp, www.amazon.fr, www.amazon.ca, www.amazon.cn, www.amazon.it, www.amazon.es and www.amazon.com.br. As used herein, “Amazon.com,” “we,” “our” and similar terms include Amazon.com, Inc., and its subsidiaries, unless the context indicates otherwise.
This announcement contains forward-looking statements within the meaning of Section 27A of the Securities Act of 1933 and Section 21E of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934. Actual results may differ significantly from management's expectations. These forward-looking statements involve risks and uncertainties that include, among others, risks related to competition, management of growth, new products, services and technologies, potential fluctuations in operating results, international expansion, outcomes of legal proceedings and claims, fulfillment center optimization, seasonality, commercial agreements, acquisitions and strategic transactions, foreign exchange rates, system interruption, inventory, government regulation and taxation, payments and fraud. More information about factors that potentially could affect Amazon.com's financial results is included in Amazon.com's filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission, including its most recent Annual Report on Form 10-K and subsequent filings.