Sen. Debbie Stabenow, Hon. Newt Gingrich to Join Genworth,
Key Stakeholders for 'Town Hall' Meeting
Examining Issues Affecting Women, Families and Caregivers
RICHMOND, Va., Sept. 18 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Genworth Financial, Inc.
(NYSE: GNW) will host a national long term care symposium in Washington, D.C.,
on September 20, bringing together elected officials, researchers, caregivers,
media observers and business leaders to present an in-depth review of one of
the most serious issues facing America -- the costs and challenges of long
The symposium will be moderated by Susan Dentzer of PBS' "NewsHour with
Jim Lehrer." Speakers and panel participants include:
- The Honorable Debbie Stabenow (D-MI), United States Senate
- The Honorable Newt Gingrich, former Speaker of the U.S. House of
Representatives and commissioner, National Commission for Quality Long
- Douglas Holtz-Eakin, director of the Congressional Budget Office
- Glen Bolger, partner, Public Opinion Strategies
- Mary Beth Franklin, senior editor, Kiplinger's Personal Finance
- Dr. Mike Magee, director, Pfizer Medical Humanities Initiative
- Meryl Comer, caregiver, former television journalist
"Long term care has rightfully emerged as a top public policy priority in
this country as 77 million baby boomers near retirement," said Buck Stinson,
president of Genworth's long term care insurance business. "This year alone,
$129 billion will be spent on older individuals receiving paid care. As the
cost of care continues to rise -- and Americans live much longer lives -- it's
imperative we discuss, pursue and evaluate public-private solutions as an
integral part of America's evolving national long term care policy."
Among the issues the symposium will highlight are:
- Why are women disproportionately impacted by long term care issues?
- The realities of long term care; who needs it and what does it cost?
- How will the federal government pay for it? Tax increases or program
- How are employers affected and what benefits are they offering
- What role will long term care play in the 2006 and 2008 elections?
Genworth's benchmark annual "cost of care" study for 2006 found that the
average national cost of a private nursing-home room had risen to nearly
$71,000 a year. The study is available at genworth.com. A national poll
conducted on behalf of Genworth this year by Public Opinion Strategies
indicated that 65 percent of Americans had made no long term care plans.
About Genworth Financial
Genworth Financial (NYSE: GNW) is a leading insurance holding company,
serving the lifestyle protection, retirement income, investment and mortgage
insurance needs of more than 15 million customers, with operations in 24
countries, including the United States, Australia, Canada, Japan, Mexico, New
Zealand, the United Kingdom and 17 other European countries. Genworth is the
leading provider of long term care insurance in the United States. For more
information, visit http://www.genworth.com.
NOTE: MEDIA RSVP IS MANDATORY FOR THE SYMPOSIUM
Wednesday, September 20th, 8:30AM-12:30PM
Breakfast will be served
Mayflower Hotel, Washington D.C.
SOURCE Genworth Financial, Inc.
CONTACT: Neal McGarity of Genworth Financial, Inc., +1-203-708-3460,