ANNAPOLIS, Md., Dec. 17, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- TeleCommunication Systems, Inc. (TCS) (NASDAQ: TSYS), a world leader in highly reliable and secure mobile communication technology, today announced its new, comprehensive, end-to-end suite of Next Generation 9-1-1 (NG 9-1-1) solutions for public safety and emergency response. Through its acquisition of microDATA in July 2012, TCS added powerful new geographic information system (GIS) solutions, call taker equipment and related NG 9-1-1 system components and services to other TCS solutions.
Today's TCS NG 9-1-1 suite is the first fully standards-compliant NENA i3 NG 9-1-1 system: a comprehensive public safety portfolio providing key products and services to wireline local exchange carriers, VoIP service providers, competitive local exchange carriers and wireless operators. This solution combines TCS' carrier-grade Emergency Services IP Network (ESINet) and national text gateway with microDATA's ESINet and CPE solution.
Two major technology evolutions are converging for the next generation of emergency communication services:
- Legacy circuit-switched infrastructure in the public safety community is being upgraded to all-IP-based Next Generation 9-1-1 systems; and
- The first non-voice emergency communications, specifically short message service text messages (SMS 9-1-1) for the hearing impaired, callers in noise-sensitive situations or for communication when networks are overloaded with voice calls are being transmitted over wireless operator networks.
With these capabilities, wireless operators can now take advantage of TCS' cloud-based text gateway and connect both to legacy public safety answering points (PSAPs) and evolving NG public safety jurisdictions. This enables public safety jurisdictions to have flexible options for receipt of SMS, regardless of their legacy equipment or stage of transition to Next Generation. In addition, this has set the stage for the public to be able to securely and reliably send location information, text, videos and images rapidly to PSAPs, providing emergency responders with detailed, accurate information.
- With the acquisition of microDATA, TCS has established itself as the market leader in robust, end-to-end 9-1-1 solutions.
- With the addition of new technologies, such as video, instant messaging and smartphone applications, as well as new ecosystem entrants, such as over the top (OTT) telecommunication providers, telecommunications systems are increasing in complexity and capabilities.
- TCS now offers a complete 9-1-1 product suite for each type of telecommunications carrier and a complete NG 9-1-1 offering for PSAPs.
- The suite of NG 9-1-1 compliant solutions are scalable for serving and delivering all 9-1-1 calls, from the smallest regional wireless carrier deploying 4G for the first time to a PSAP serving a major metropolitan area.
- In the United States, more than 6,000 PSAPs are at different stages of the NG 9-1-1 migration, with TCS customers such as the states of Tennessee and Iowa, and the North Central Texas Council of Governments leading the market as early adopters, deploying complete solutions.
- TCS has completed and facilitated the first statewide design, deployment and commissioning of NG 9-1-1 which is in full compliance with NENA i3 specifications.
Ron Westfall, research director, Service Provider Infrastructure, Current Analysis, said: "NG 9-1-1 is the future of emergency communications and response. This pivotal transition will provide the public with options to contact emergency services through the communication pathway that best suits their needs. TCS commands the experience and market position to drive the transition for wireless carriers and PSAPs across the United States."
Chris Nabinger, senior vice president and general manager, Safety & Security Group, TCS, said:
"Over the past decade, the ways in which people communicate have radically changed; therefore, the method in which the public contacts 9-1-1 dispatchers must keep pace. NG 9-1-1 not only addresses the public safety needs of tomorrow, but it also solves many of the challenges we face today. Our 2012 acquisition of microDATA, combined with our expertise in delivering wireless E9-1-1, optimally positions TCS to deliver this comprehensive suite of NG 9-1-1 solutions to enable fast and detailed emergency communications while increasing interoperability between PSAPs."
About TeleCommunication Systems, Inc.
TeleCommunication Systems, Inc. (TCS) (NASDAQ: TSYS) is a world leader in highly reliable and secure mobile communication technology. TCS infrastructure forms the foundation for market leading solutions in E9-1-1, text messaging, commercial location and deployable wireless communications. TCS is at the forefront of new mobile cloud computing services providing wireless applications for navigation, hyper-local search, asset tracking, social applications and telematics. Millions of consumers around the world use TCS wireless apps as a fundamental part of their daily lives. Government agencies utilize TCS' cyber security expertise, professional services, and highly secure deployable satellite solutions for mission-critical communications. Headquartered in Annapolis, MD, TCS maintains technical, service and sales offices around the world. To learn more about emerging and innovative wireless technologies, visit www.telecomsys.com.
Except for the historical information contained herein, this news release contains forward-looking statements as defined within Section 27A of the Securities Act of 1933, as amended, and Section 21E of the Securities and Exchange Act of 1934, as amended. These statements are subject to risks and uncertainties and are based upon TCS' current expectations and assumptions that if incorrect would cause actual results to differ materially from those anticipated. Risks include those detailed from time to time in the Company's SEC reports, including the report on Form 10-K for the year ended December 31, 2011, and on Form 10-Q for the quarter ended September 30, 2012.
Existing and prospective investors are cautioned not to place undue reliance on these forward-looking statements, which speak only as of the date hereof. The Company undertakes no obligation to update or revise the information in this press release, whether as a result of new information, future events or circumstances, or otherwise.
(Logo: http://photos.prnewswire.com/prnh/20120503/PH99996LOGO )
SOURCE TeleCommunication Systems, Inc.