|Simon Ignites Youth Events With Hot Pop Talent For Teens, Radio Disney For Children|
'Simon DTour Live' and 'Feelin' Groovy' Crank Up the Volume on Experiential Marketing
INDIANAPOLIS, Aug. 3 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Simon Brand Ventures, the business-to-consumer arm of Simon Property Group, Inc. (NYSE: SPG), today announced the August 2005 launch of two major marketing events targeting teens and children: Simon DTour Live(TM), a national roadie trip of hot pop stars and hip brands, and Feelin' Groovy, an upbeat national celebration of 'health and swellness' that teaches young children to play their way to healthy living.
"We've upped the quality and impact of our experiential marketing with more hot new pop music acts, programming and entertainment from Radio Disney, and even more of the best sponsors," said Stewart Stockdale, chief marketing officer of Simon Property Group and president of Simon Brand Ventures. "Teens and children are obviously vitally important segments. Teens visit Simon Malls an average of nearly five times per month, so we know youth are looking for entertainment as much as great shopping and access to the latest, coolest brands. And in a three-month period, Simon reaches over one quarter of adults with children aged 2-11 in their households," Stockdale said.
Simon DTour Live is a proprietary teen marketing program that fuses tailored brand sponsorships with creative and interactive on-site entertainment, events and contests sponsored by eight top teen brands including title sponsor Visa Buxx, music sponsor Coca-Cola, ELLEgirl magazine and Playtex Products (all returning from last year), plus new sponsors The N Network, Nintendo, Square Enix and L'Oreal Paris.
The tour launches August 5 in Jersey City and will conclude October 23 in Austin, visiting 25 premier Simon shopping destinations throughout the country. A local extension event to Simon DTour Live, including an amateur music competition for teens with prizes, will be launched at additional Simon malls.
Each Simon DTour Live event will feature free live performances by one of several popular singing sensations, including teen heartthrob and MTV show star Ryan Cabrera; singer and WB actor Tyler Hilton; power pop group The Click Five; pop singer and actress (from Lizzie McGuire) Lalaine; breakout pop vocalist Kaci Brown; hip hop crossover boy group B5 and JD Natasha, a pop Latina teen artist. The featured artists will take turns appearing across Simon DTour Live's national tour stops. In addition to the main stage performances, Simon DTour Live will also offer teens the chance to check out the latest games, gizmos, fashions and premiums, including:
* Coca-Cola brings its new website, http://mycoke.com , to life through a branded pavilion where teens can experience all of the features of the new site and taste the new Coke with Lime.
* Visa Buxx, the reloadable Visa card specifically designed for teens to help them learn about responsible spending, hosts a free henna tattoo parlor where teens can choose their own design, painted by professional artists. Visa Buxx will also present an interactive game show to arm teens with insights on responsible money management in a fun and upbeat way.
* The N, the nighttime network for teens, introduces its new TV series from the creators of Degrassi, "Instant Star." The N will get teens ready for their "close-up" with one-minute makeovers and a walk down a red-carpeted paparazzi-flashbulb alley. A picture will be taken in front of a screen with other celebs, and each teen is entered to win a fabulous evening out complete with limo, dinner, concert tickets and a Simon Visa Giftcard.
* Nintendo showcases its highly anticipated game for Nintendo DS, Nintendogs. Players can train their puppies, teach them new tricks, compete in obedience and agility trials and walk their dogs in the virtual dog park -- all by using voice commands and the unique touch screen of the Nintendo DS. The innovative "Bark Mode" enables players to interact with other owners and their puppies wirelessly. Nintendogs is the ideal pet for people who can't have the real thing.
* Square Enix(TM) unveils its exciting, award-winning PlayStation 2 role- playing game, Dragon Quest(TM) VIII: Journey of the Cursed King(TM), at the events. Teens will have a chance to enter into the beautiful, vast Dragon Quest world and experience the fun and rewarding gameplay. Dragon Quest VIII is entertaining for both young men and women and is easy to pick up and play. There will be premium, free Dragon Quest gear available to those who try out the demo.
* L'Oreal Paris is offering one-on-one hair color consultations and complimentary Color Pulse hair color. The Color Pulse hair color experts are equipped to give coloring tips that will enhance your personal style. As consumers wait, they can create their personal Color Pulse photo greeting card to share with their friends.
* ELLEgirl magazine showcases the latest fashions and accessories from select brands, such as Guess Jeans, Le Sport Sac, Lady Enyce, Plugg Jeans and Sweetooth handbags at their popular fashion "lab."
* Playtex Products gives each young woman a micro-branded baby T with a choice of iron-on transfer designs to reflect her personality. Young women may also register for a "Renew the Real You" sweepstakes with the chance to win a trip of their choice.
"Last year, approximately 65,000 teens and their parents were introduced to Visa Buxx through Simon DTour Live," said Steve Diamond, vice president, prepaid products, Visa USA. "Visa continually looks for ways to offer consumers insights on the choice of payment products available to them. Simon DTour Live's mix of live music and fashion provides a fun, interactive platform to communicate the importance of budgets and responsible money management, building teens' confidence in making financial decisions."
"Being part of Simon DTour Live allows us to showcase fresh new talent, a fresh new website and a fresh new product, Coke with Lime," said Mike Stern, director cold drink customer marketing, Coca-Cola North America. "Coca-Cola recognizes the passion that teens have for entertainment, so an interactive experience wrapped around popular music makes Simon DTour Live an ideal event."
Feelin' Groovy is a national back-to-school celebration of 'health and swellness' that teaches kids to play their way to healthy living. Simon and Radio Disney are teaming together to encourage children to learn good health habits that will last a lifetime. The national 77-mall Simon tour will feature continuous upbeat music, a family-friendly Radio Disney emcee, game show-type wellness activities for families and numerous giveaways, plus interactive health-oriented stations designed to appeal to moms and kids 2 through 12 years of age. The tour launched July 30 and concludes September 25. In addition, a number of Simon malls across the country will host a Feelin' Groovy extension program combining both national and local sponsors.
"Feelin' Groovy is a multi-dimensional interactive experience that delivers meaningful, relevant and memorable messages about 'health and swellness' in a family-friendly atmosphere that both children and their parents will enjoy," said Cathi Weiner, senior vice president, business development, for Simon Brand Ventures.
Feelin' Groovy events include:
* Radio Disney - Provides a Master of Ceremonies and offers continuous entertainment and giveaways during each four-hour event.
* Savvy - An instructional dance DVD by Savvy, a wholesome pop band of eight kids, 8-16 years of age, is featured at each mall. In addition, Savvy presents live performances at select malls as part of the event.
* RedOctane's "In the Grove" Dance Station - Invites kids to join the newest active dance game from Sony PlayStation 2.
* Cabbage Patch Kids/Child Medical Station - Encourages kids to bring their Cabbage Patch dolls in for a quick check-up and simultaneously learn to be more comfortable when visiting the doctor themselves. A Cabbage Patch costumed character also adds to the fun.
* Mom's Resource Center -- Offers moms valuable tips on kids' wellness, exercise and weight management, plus product samples from Kimberly Clark.
* Other health-oriented stations will be added, tailored to the local markets.
Regional sponsors (which will vary by market) include Roomba, which will discuss the importance of air quality in the home; The Weather Channel, which will enable kids to learn about sun safety, pollen counts and the importance of clean air; Tempus International, which will present information on the importance of family fun and relaxation; and Hyperion Publishing, which will present a story time and discussion about how reading helps a child's development.
Feelin' Groovy is one of several programs and events held throughout the year presented by Simon Kidgits Club, which focuses on children's health, wellness, education, safety and entertainment for kids aged 3-8.
"We are excited to launch this national tour at Simon Malls because we want all kids to understand that it's fun and easy to develop healthy lifestyles," said Peggy Iafrate, integrated marketing, Radio Disney. "Feeling Groovy is a fun way for families to get up, move around and have some fun together."
Simon DTour Live Featured Artist Websites: B5 (Bad Boy Records)- http://b5online.com KACI BROWN (Interscope Records) - http://kacibrown.com RYAN CABRERA (Atlantic Records) - http://www.ryancabrera.com/ THE CLICK FIVE (Lava Records) - http://theclickfive.com TYLER HILTON (Maverick Records) - http://www.tylerhilton.com/ LALAINE (Warner Bros. Records) - http://lalaine.net JD NATASHA (EMI Records) - http://natashaville.com About Simon Property Group
Simon Property Group, Inc., headquartered in Indianapolis, Indiana, is a real estate investment trust engaged in the ownership, development and management of retail real estate, primarily regional malls, Premium Outlet(R) centers and community/lifestyle centers. The Company's current total market capitalization is approximately $41 billion. Through its subsidiary partnership, it currently owns or has an interest in 295 properties in the United States containing an aggregate of 201 million square feet of gross leasable area in 40 states plus Puerto Rico. Simon also owns interests in 51 European shopping centers in France, Italy, Poland and Portugal; 5 Premium Outlet(R) centers in Japan; one Premium Outlet(R) center in Mexico; and one shopping center in Canada. Additional Simon Property Group information is available at http://www.simon.com .
About Simon Brand Ventures
Simon Brand Ventures (SBV), Simon's business-to-consumer arm, has pioneered the transformation of shopping malls into a medium where consumer brands can build one-on-one relationships with shoppers who make approximately 2 billion visits to Simon Malls each year. Simon's vast franchise of market- leading shopping centers nationwide provides SBV the foundation to monetize the distribution system through numerous consumer ventures. SBV has engaged in a number of consumer business initiatives, including the Simon Giftcard(TM), launch of Simon platform programs such as Simon Kidgits Club(TM), Simon Super Chefs Live!(TM), Simon DTour Live(TM), Simon Mall for You(TM) and Simon Evening of Giving(TM); a national media delivery channel including experiential marketing methods, and multiple national and local marketing alliances with Coca-Cola, Visa U.S.A. and Cingular Wireless, among others.
Visa is the world's leading payment brand and largest consumer payment system, enabling banks to provide their consumer and merchant customers with a wide variety of payment alternatives. Nearly 21,000 financial institutions worldwide rely on Visa's processing system, VisaNet, to facilitate $2.5 trillion in annual transaction volume with virtually 100-percent reliability. Consumers in more than 150 countries carry more than 1 billion Visa-branded cards, accepted at millions of locations worldwide. Within the United States, nearly 14,000 financial institutions issue 429 million Visa cards, accounting for more than $1.1 trillion in annual transaction volume. Visa offers a trusted, reliable and convenient way to access and mobilize financial resources -- anytime, anywhere, any way. For more information about Visa, please visit http://www.visa.com .
About The Coca-Cola Company
The Coca-Cola Company is the world's largest beverage company. Along with Coca-Cola, recognized as the world's most valuable brand, the Company markets four of the world's top five soft drink brands, including Diet Coke, Fanta and Sprite, and a wide range of other beverages, including diet and light soft drinks, waters, juices and juice drinks, teas, coffees and sports drinks. Through the world's largest beverage distribution system, consumers in more than 200 countries enjoy the Company's beverages at a rate exceeding 1 billion servings each day. For more information about The Coca-Cola Company, visit http://www.coca-cola.com .
SOURCE Simon Property Group, Inc. -0- 08/03/2005 /CONTACT: Sarah Heffernan, +1-314-982-8680, email@example.com , for Simon Property Group, Inc.; or Billie Scott of Simon Property Group, Inc., +1-317-263-7148, firstname.lastname@example.org / /Web site: http://www.simon.com http://www.visa.com http://www.coca-cola.com http://mycoke.com / (SPG) CO: Simon Property Group, Inc. ST: Indiana IN: FIN RLT REA ENT MUS EDU SU: CHI TH -- DEW007 -- 4101 08/03/2005 08:00 EDT http://www.prnewswire.com