SEC Filings


10-K
CUMMINS INC filed this Form 10-K on 02/11/2019
Entire Document
 

On August 8, 2018, we entered into an accelerated share repurchase agreement with Goldman Sachs & Co. LLC to repurchase $500 million of our common stock under our previously announced share repurchase plans and received 3.5 million shares at an average price of $144.02 per share.
We intend to repurchase outstanding shares from time to time during 2019 to enhance shareholder value and to offset the dilutive impact of employee stock based compensation plans.
Dividends
Total dividends paid to common shareholders in 2018, 2017 and 2016 were $718 million, $701 million and $676 million, respectively. Declaration and payment of dividends in the future depends upon our income and liquidity position, among other factors, and is subject to declaration by our Board of Directors, who meet quarterly to consider our dividend payment. We expect to fund dividend payments with cash from operations.
In July 2018, our Board of Directors authorized an increase to our quarterly dividend of 5.6 percent from $1.08 per share to $1.14 per share. In July 2017, our Board of Directors authorized an increase to our quarterly dividend of 5.4 percent from $1.025 per share to $1.08 per share. In July 2016, our Board of Directors authorized an increase to our quarterly dividend of 5.1 percent from $0.975 per share to $1.025 per share. Cash dividends per share paid to common shareholders for the last three years were as follows:
 
 
Quarterly Dividends
 
 
2018
 
2017
 
2016
First quarter
 
$
1.08

 
$
1.025

 
$
0.975

Second quarter
 
1.08

 
1.025

 
0.975

Third quarter
 
1.14

 
1.08

 
1.025

Fourth quarter
 
1.14

 
1.08

 
1.025

Total
 
$
4.44

 
$
4.21

 
$
4.00

Capital Expenditures
Capital expenditures, including spending on internal use software, were $784 million, $587 million and $594 million in 2018, 2017 and 2016, respectively. We continue to invest in new product lines and targeted capacity expansions. We plan to spend an estimated $650 million to $700 million in 2019 on capital expenditures as we continue with product launches and facility improvements. Approximately 50 percent of our capital expenditures are expected to be invested outside of the U.S. in 2019. In addition we plan to spend an estimated $65 million to $75 million on internal use software in 2019.
Pensions
The funded status of our pension plans is dependent upon a variety of variables and assumptions including return on invested assets, market interest rates and levels of voluntary contributions to the plans. In 2018, the investment loss on our U.S. pension trust was 1.7 percent while our U.K. pension trust loss was 1.8 percent. Approximately 74 percent of our pension plan assets are held in highly liquid investments such as fixed income and equity securities. The remaining 26 percent of our plan assets are held in less liquid, but market valued investments, including real estate, private equity, venture capital, opportunistic credit and insurance contracts.
We sponsor funded and unfunded domestic and foreign defined benefit pension plans. Contributions to the U.S. and U.K. plans were as follows:
 
 
 
Years ended December 31,
In millions
 
2018
 
2017
 
2016
Defined benefit pension plans
 
 

 
 

 
 
Voluntary contribution
 
$
15

 
$
233

 
$
133

Mandatory contribution
 
22

 
10

 
1

Defined benefit pension contributions
 
37

 
243

 
134

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Defined contribution pension plans
 
$
104

 
$
84

 
$
68

We anticipate making total contributions of approximately $123 million to our defined benefit pension plans in 2019. Expected contributions to our defined benefit pension plans in 2019 will meet or exceed the current funding requirements.

52