MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif., May 4, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- IRIDEX Corporation (Nasdaq: IRIX) today announced the presentation of data demonstrating the safety and efficacy of its proprietary MicroPulse® technology for treating glaucoma and retinal disease at the upcoming American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery Symposium & Congress (ASCRS) and Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology (ARVO) conferences.
At the ASCRS congress from May 5 to 9, the following presentations are scheduled to be made regarding the use of MicroPulse for glaucoma:
- Dr. Rolando Toyos, of Toyos Clinic in Nashville, TN will present the study results from his peer-reviewed publication in the Journal of Clinical & Experimental Ophthalmology. The study included 26 eyes and illustrated a reduction of IOP from a baseline of 25.6 mmHg to 18 mmHg at 6-12 months and a reduction in the number of topical glaucoma medications required from an average of 3.3 to 1.8.
- Drs. Thomas Samuelson and Mark Hansen from Minnesota Eye Consultants will present results from a study that reviewed 119 procedures and concludes that MicroPulse is an effective, non-invasive treatment to lower IOP and is a viable option for all types of glaucoma at various stages.
- Dr. Jeffrey Kammer of Vanderbilt Eye Institute will speak on MicroPulse in his cyclophotocoagulation talk during the session entitled, "Changing Paradigms in Glaucoma Laser Surgery: What Laser Do I Use When?".
- Dr. Thomas John from Loyola University at Chicago will present results from a study that evaluated the treatment of 20 eyes resulting in a reduction in IOP and topical medication with no adverse events.
At the ARVO annual meeting from May 7 to 11, the following presentations are scheduled to be made regarding the use of MicroPulse for glaucoma:
- Doheny Eye Center UCLA, Dr. Brian Francis, 20 eyes, 43% IOP reduction @ approximately 2 months follow-up.
- University of Missouri, Dr. Rohit Krishna, 30 patients, 43% IOP reduction @ 6 months follow-up.
- Wills Eye Hospital, Dr. Marlene Moster, 78 patients, 50% IOP reduction @ an average of 7.5 months follow-up.
- University of Washington, Dr. Murray Johnstone, "Clinically used MicroPulse parameters induce outflow system configuration changes generally associated with improved aqueous flow."
- UCSF, Dr. Shan Lin, "No presence of suprachoroidal fluid or anatomical changes were found." The study concluded, "MP-TCP is effective at lowering IOP in the majority of patients and appears safe without major complications."
Also at ARVO, four studies will be presented on MicroPulse laser therapy for diabetic macular edema (DME) and central serous chorioretinopathy (CSC). Results from a 3-year study demonstrated that MicroPulse laser monotherapy for DME maintains its efficacy in stabilizing / improving visual acuity and in reducing / eliminating DME. Two other studies examined retinal layer changes post MicroPulse for DME, and found improvement in both morphologic and functional (retinal sensitivity) outcomes, and no structural damage to the underlying photoreceptor layer while still achieving effective results. In addition, results from a 6-month study on MicroPulse monotherapy for the treatment of chronic CSC demonstrated safety and clinical efficacy.
"We are very encouraged by this data, further illustrating consistent clinical safety and efficacy results for our MicroPulse technology," stated William M. Moore, President and CEO. "As the volume of positive data continues to be generated, I believe that we are only just starting to scratch the surface of the potential for our MicroPulse-based products to change the landscape of treatment for sight-threatening eye conditions, such as glaucoma and retinal diseases."
IRIDEX Corporation was founded in 1989 and is a worldwide leader in developing, manufacturing, and marketing innovative and versatile laser-based medical systems, delivery devices and consumable instrumentation for the ophthalmology market. We maintain a deep commitment to the success of our customers, with comprehensive technical, clinical, and service support programs. IRIDEX is dedicated to a standard of excellence, offering superior technology for superior results. IRIDEX products are sold in the United States through a direct sales force and internationally through a combination of a direct sales force and a network of approximately 70 independent distributors into over 100 countries. For further information, visit the IRIDEX website at http://www.iridex.com/.
Safe Harbor Statement
This announcement contains forward-looking statements within the meaning of Section 27A of the Securities Act of 1933, as amended, and Section 21E of the Securities Act of 1934, as amended, including those statements concerning the presentation and development of clinical data related to the Company's products, future demand and order levels for the Company's products, future operating expenses, changes in personnel, product development and intellectual property related matters, the adoption and effect of Company products on its results, the markets in which the Company operates, usage and efficacy of the Company's products, the Company's future financial results, and the Company's strategic plans and objectives. These statements are not guarantees of future performance and actual results may differ materially from those described in these forward-looking statements as a result of a number of factors. Please see a detailed description of these and other risks contained in our Annual Report on Form 10-K for the fiscal year ended December 31, 2016. Forward-looking statements contained in this announcement are made as of this date and will not be updated.
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/iridex-announces-presentation-of-data-demonstrating-safety-and-efficacy-of-micropulse-technology-at-upcoming-industry-conferences-300451748.html
SOURCE IRIDEX Corporation
Lynn Pieper Lewis or Leigh Salvo, (415) 937-5404, firstname.lastname@example.org