10-K
UNION CARBIDE CORP /NEW/ filed this Form 10-K on 02/15/2018
Entire Document
 

The Corporation routinely exchanges and swaps raw materials and finished goods with other companies to reduce delivery time, freight and other transportation costs. These transactions are treated as non-monetary exchanges and are valued at cost.

Property
Land, buildings and equipment, including property under capital lease agreements, are carried at cost less accumulated depreciation. Depreciation is based on the estimated service lives of depreciable assets and is calculated using the straight-line method. Fully depreciated assets are retained in property and accumulated depreciation accounts until they are removed from service. In the case of disposals, assets and related accumulated depreciation are removed from the accounts, and the net amounts, less proceeds from disposal, are included in income.

Impairment and Disposal of Long-Lived Assets
The Corporation evaluates long-lived assets and certain identifiable intangible assets for impairment whenever events or changes in circumstances indicate that the carrying amount of an asset may not be recoverable. When undiscounted future cash flows are not expected to be sufficient to recover an asset's carrying amount, the asset is written down to its fair value based on bids received from third parties or a discounted cash flow analysis based on market participant assumptions.

Long-lived assets to be disposed of by sale, if material, are classified as held for sale and reported at the lower of carrying amount or fair value less cost to sell, and depreciation is ceased. Long-lived assets to be disposed of other than by sale are classified as held and used until they are disposed of and reported at the lower of carrying amount or fair value, and depreciation is recognized over the remaining useful life of the assets.

Other Intangible Assets
Finite-lived intangible assets such as purchased customer lists, developed technology, patents, trademarks and software, are amortized over their estimated useful lives, generally on a straight-line basis for periods ranging primarily from three to twenty years.

Investments in Related Companies
Investments in related companies consist of the Corporation's ownership interests in Dow subsidiaries located in North America and Latin America. The Corporation accounts for these investments using the cost method as it does not have significant influence over the operating and financial policies of these related companies.

Revenue
Substantially all of the Corporation's revenues are generated by sales to Dow. Approximately 99 percent of the Corporation's sales are related to sales of product (99 percent in 2016 and 99 percent in 2015); the remaining 1 percent is related to the licensing of patents and technology (1 percent in 2016 and 1 percent in 2015).

Revenue for product sales to related companies is recognized as risk and title to the product transfer to the related company, which occurs either at the time production is complete or free on board ("FOB") UCC's manufacturing facility, in accordance with the sales agreement between the Corporation and Dow.

Revenue for product sales to trade customers is recognized as risk and title to the product transfer to the customer, which for trade sales, usually occurs at the time shipment is made. As such, title to the product passes when the product is delivered to the freight carrier. UCC's standard terms of delivery are included in its contracts of sale, order confirmation documents and invoices. Freight costs and any directly related costs of transporting finished product to customers are recorded as "Cost of sales" in the consolidated statements of income.

Revenue related to the initial licensing of patents and technology is recognized when earned; revenue related to running royalties is recognized according to licensee production levels.

Severance Costs
Management routinely reviews its operations around the world in an effort to ensure competitiveness across its operations and geographic regions. When the reviews result in a workforce reduction related to the shutdown of facilities or other optimization activities, severance benefits are provided to employees primarily under ongoing benefit arrangements. These severance costs are accrued once management commits to a plan of termination and it becomes probable that employees will be entitled to benefits at amounts that can be reasonably estimated.


26