Print Page  |  Close Window

SEC Filings

10-Q
FEDERAL NATIONAL MORTGAGE ASSOCIATION FANNIE MAE filed this Form 10-Q on 11/02/2018
Entire Document
 
 
Notes to Condensed Consolidated Financial Statements | Concentrations of Credit Risk



The table below displays our mortgage insurer counterparties that provided approximately 10% or more of the risk in force mortgage insurance coverage on the single-family loans in our guaranty book of business.
 
Percentage of Total Risk in Force Mortgage Insurance Coverage
 
As of
 
September 30, 2018
 
December 31, 2017
Counterparty:(1)
 
Arch Capital Group Ltd.
25
%
 
25
%
Radian Guaranty, Inc.
21

 
21

Mortgage Guaranty Insurance Corp.
18

 
19

Genworth Mortgage Insurance Corp.
15

 
15

Essent Guaranty, Inc.
12

 
11

Others
9

 
9

Total
100
%
 
100
%
__________
(1) 
Insurance coverage amounts provided for each counterparty may include coverage provided by affiliates and subsidiaries of the counterparty.
Three of our mortgage insurer counterparties that are currently not approved to write new business are in run-off: PMI Mortgage Insurance Co. (“PMI”), Triad Guaranty Insurance Corporation (“Triad”) and Republic Mortgage Insurance Company (”RMIC”). Entering run-off may close off a source of profits and liquidity that may have otherwise assisted a mortgage insurer in paying claims under insurance policies, and could also cause the quality and speed of its claims processing to deteriorate. These three mortgage insurers provided a combined $5.0 billion, or 3%, of our risk in force mortgage insurance coverage of our single-family guaranty book of business as of September 30, 2018.
PMI and Triad have been paying only a portion of policyholder claims and deferring the remaining portion. PMI is currently paying 72.5% of claims under its mortgage insurance policies in cash and is deferring the remaining 27.5%, and Triad is currently paying 75% of claims in cash and deferring the remaining 25%. It is uncertain whether PMI or Triad will be permitted in the future to pay any remaining deferred policyholder claims and/or increase or decrease the amount of cash they pay on claims. RMIC is no longer deferring payments on policyholder claims and has paid us its previously outstanding deferred payment obligations as well as interest on those obligations; however, RMIC remains in run-off.
We have counterparty credit risk relating to the potential insolvency of, or non-performance by, mortgage insurers that insure single-family loans we purchase or guarantee. There is risk that these counterparties may fail to fulfill their obligations to pay our claims under insurance policies. If we determine that it is probable that we will not collect all of our claims from one or more of our mortgage insurer counterparties, it could increase our loss reserves, which could adversely affect our results of operations, liquidity, financial condition and net worth.
When we estimate the credit losses that are inherent in our mortgage loans and under the terms of our guaranty obligations we also consider the recoveries that we will receive on primary mortgage insurance, as mortgage insurance recoveries would reduce the severity of the loss associated with defaulted loans. We evaluate the financial condition of our mortgage insurer counterparties and adjust the contractually due recovery amounts to ensure that only probable losses as of the balance sheet date are included in our loss reserve estimate. As a result, if our assessment of one or more of our mortgage insurer counterparties’ ability to fulfill their respective obligations to us worsens, it could increase our loss reserves. As of September 30, 2018 and December 31, 2017, the amount by which our estimated benefit from mortgage insurance reduced our loss reserves was $710 million and $989 million, respectively.

Fannie Mae (In conservatorship) Third Quarter 2018 Form 10-Q
84