|Our Business |
Pacer International, Inc. is a leading asset-light transportation and global logistics services provider. Our strategy is to focus on making our customer's world run smoother. By coordinating our capabilities with our customers' transportation network needs, we create efficiency and value for shippers and deliver world-class customer service. As one of the premier intermodal transportation providers in North America, our intermodal segment represents approximately 75% of our total revenues. As a complement to our intermodal network, we also provide an array of logistics solutions including global international freight forwarding and non-vessel-operating common carrier (“NVOCC”) services, highway brokerage, warehousing and distribution, and supply chain management services. Pacer's customers include numerous Fortune 500 companies (manufacturers, retailers, importers, etc.) and multi-national companies.
Through our contractual arrangements with our underlying rail carriers, we have access to more than 60,000 miles of network rail routes. To support these operations we manage one of the largest domestic intermodal fleets in North America with more than 16,000 Pacer controlled containers, and access to an additional 100,000+ big and small boxes.
Our competitive advantages include:
- our ability to seamlessly operate one of the largest intermodal networks in North America;
- our control and management of one of the largest private intermodal equipment fleets in North America which allows us to allocate capacity to and among our customers for their shipping requirements;
- our ability to provide competitive rates and economies of scale to our customers;
- a comprehensive portfolio of transportation and logistics services;
- our opportunity to cross-sell services to existing and potential customers;
- our asset-light model that provides the flexibility to tailor services to our customers' needs in rapidly changing freight markets;
- the ability to provide reliable and consistent services;
- our expertise in cross border intermodal services, in particular Mexico, where we have people, infrastructure and assets; and
- our strong relationships with our underlying transportation asset providers that enable us to obtain scale pricing and the exceptional service delivery required in today's marketplace.
Through our management processes and information systems we create efficiencies and operational excellence in the delivery of our services. As a result, we gain an important competitive advantage, including freight procurement leverage, and an opportunity to pass volume rate savings and economies of scale to our customers. Our increased control allows us to provide more reliable and consistent services.
The breadth of our intermodal and logistics services allows us to rapidly expand customer relationships and provide flexible service customization to respond to our customers' changing needs. This also helps us generate growth internally by purchasing services from our own operating units, and enhancing our position with respect to process control, cost, and service quality.